Why become a member? ×

Tone and Response Trouble ( TART/

ubassman

Just thought I would see what combinations of strings or problems other DB/ EUB players to sort out Tone And Reponse Trouble ?

I am using D'addario Kaplans and they have bedded in beautifully - they are superb for bowing but I am wondering if a Heavy gauge E string will deliver even more....could be the bass, could be the string.

Honeys sounded the best on my bass with the current setup, Velvet Animas second. Evah weichs and Spiros choked the thing. Bare in mind it aint the greatest bass but it seems to like lower tension strings with higher action.

This month I'm taking it to a new luthier (hopefully) to have a complete setup change. The action is getting dropped significantly and I just need to decide steel or synthetic strings. I might try Kolstein strings this time. If they don't work, I'll try the Spiros again with much lower action.

It really interesting to see that some manufacturers make strings that are pretty even tension across the set of strings whilst others ramp up the tension up as you get to the E string.

Replacing the mediums with a higher tension on the A and E makes the world of difference. The choking of the bass I am sure is related to correct choice of tension given the mensur of the bass. Had huge probs trying to get a short length to sing but found that high tension strings sorted the issue all other strings made the bass sound like a Tea Chest bass !!