Why become a member? ×

How varied are you?

charic

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1362686709' post='2003442']
Thinking about it , lot of the greatest players are so distinctive in their styles that you couldn't really say that were varied . Was Jaco varied ? You hear the same licks time and again in his playing and he fits them in to different musical situations . He only ever played like Jaco . Was James Jamerson varied ? He did one thing , i.e be himself with that signature sound and that approach , and did it very well in any situation . I suppose that if you have a significant style then variety is less important , or even something to be avoided .
[/quote]

I'd say that how that player arrives at that style is partially down to how varied they were in their formative years

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1362508599' post='2000477']
Not sure i see the point of all this "pseudo-worship" of how brilliant variety is, and isn't it all so great.
[/quote]

Me neither, in fact my listening taste is pretty much limited to melodic/classic rock with a few irrational random exceptions. I've actually played, and enjoyed playing in, in a variety of styles but most of it I'd never bother to listen to other than to learn the songs.

Edited by bassman7755

I play loads of different crap - some of it quite well...

Done musicals, fashion shows, tribute bands, prog/progressive stuff, backed Blues artists, dinner jazz, funk/disco bands, classic rock etc...

and you try telling the young people of today, they won't believe you! :angry:

I started my musical career playing rhythm guitar for a Glenn Miller tribute band at school.

Since then it's been mainly rock bands of varying degrees of heaviness (generally at about the aluminium level, some as far as iron), a soul band, a folk metal band, and it's culminated in the current set of bands:

Covers band 1 - rock, tending towards the blues side, mostly pre-80s, mainly covers but some originals
Covers band 2 - rock, with slight indie slantings, even spread from 60s to current
Club band - mainly 60s, 70s and 80s, some more recent
Ceilidh band - mainly 1600s, 1700s, and 1800s, some more recent
Acoustic duo (me on guitar) - all sorts of stuff

I've done:

Metal/nu metal covers
Punk originals
Various rock/pop covers bands
Other projects (inc. Kinda world music/jazz but I was playing guitar)
Folk/pop originals
Pit band for professional pantomime (2 years running)
Hard Rock/metal originals (underlying through most of the previous too)
Rock covers
Soul choir

+ Probably more I can't remember at the moment!

As long as I like the music (or it's well paid!), I'm up for anything.