Why become a member? ×

Fretboard decoration

KingBollock

For my Cort 5 string I am planning on getting some fretboard marker stickers. These ones:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLAYING-CARD-WS-Fret-Markers-Inlay-Sticker-BASS-/150889397661?pt=Guitar&hash=item2321b57d9d

Has anyone had any experience with them? Will they last or wear off really quickly? Also, the Cort is 35" scale, so they won't fit perfectly, would it be noticeable? Would it be a good idea to cover them with some kind of varnish? Which brings me onto my next thing...

I want to do something on the fretboard of my Warlock. The first thing I need to do is get rid of all the current markers, but I don't want to cause any damage. I noticed that some stick on markers come with a pen to colour over the existing spots, I was thinking of using a CD pen because nothing will get that stuff off.
My wife does a lot of crafty stuff... Erm, stuff with crafts, I mean. Including using foils. Most of the techniques involve heat, though, I imagine this would be a bad idea on a fretboard? She thinks she might have something that can do it cold, though. I was thinking of some kind of sexy girl silhouette in shiny silver on the 12th fret. But I know this stuff would come off easily. I know some people paint their fretboards, they must cover the paint with something, but what? What could I cover it with that would be perfectly clear, thin and hard wearing? Some kind of varnish or maybe epoxy?

Any ideas would be ace, thanks.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1362453927' post='2000015']
How much heat are we talking? Use a soldering iron on frets to get them out, and the wood is happy enough.
[/quote]
Not sure to be honest, I shall have to check. One of the techniques involves an actual soldering iron with a metal pad where the bit should be. The other technique uses a heat gun like a hair drier.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to bring this back up again. I am going to do a few experiments to work out how best to get the foil marker onto the fretboard and feel sure one of them will work. What I am really stuck on is what to use to cover the design so that it doesn't wear off. I need something that is going to be clear, thin and hard wearing. All I have at the moment is some generic wood varnish that claims it doesn't go yellow but I imagine there's got to be something more suitable or would it work? I suppose if it doesn't i could always sand it off again, but I don't want to be doing that too much, I don't want to harm my lovely ebony fretboard.
Any ideas?
I think I'd rather not use epoxy because it looks difficult to work with, but if it would be the best thing I am sure I could learn how to use it if I have to.