Why become a member? ×

Do you reckon you could write a hit pop song?

xilddx

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1362511466' post='2000577']
I refuse to compromise by going commercial, and just concentrate on good writing,

Just want a Lidl bit of your love baby,
But it don't Asda be a Lidl bit,
My darlin' Tess,come here baby,
Please don't wait, rose of my life.
[/quote]

Is there a smiley for a dribble chuckle? :D

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1362511466' post='2000577']
Just want a Lidl bit of your love baby,
But it don't Asda be a Lidl bit,
My darlin' Tess,come here baby,
Please don't wait, rose of my life.
[/quote]

Wow, that's worthy of Morrison - I mean, Morrisey.
You could go Aldi way with lyrics like that.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1362508140' post='2000456']
I've edited my post. ;)

FWIW I think to get on in anything in life, you have to have an awareness of your strengths and your weaknesses. Unfortunately, I am more than aware that writing hugely successful, international, Grammy award winning pop songs is not one of my strengths.

Sadly, my first foray into the world of songwriting (mid '80s) came to a sudden end. The chap recording my song, who was a well known singer and actor, a couple of weeks after recording the little ditty, promptly... died! :unsure: I have considered it my duty, since that day, to never to let any of my 'masterpieces' escape the confines of my 'studio'... my 'Pandora's Box' if you will :(
[/quote]

Ahh that's good. Because when I were a nipper, Blinded by the Light and Davy's on the Road Again blew my little mind :)

Shame about your singer biting the big one mate :o

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1362511846' post='2000588']
Blinded by the Light [/quote]

You were saying something about lyrics?

[size=3]With a boulder on my shoulder,
feeling kinda older,
I tripped the merry-go-round
With this very unpleasin', sneezin' and wheezin,
the calliope crashed to the ground.[/size]

[size=3][size=4]The f***? Springsteen in his 'Dylanesque Street Troubador' period. (Spits) P'tchoo![/size][/size]

[size=3][size=4]Earthband cover was ace though. Beat the bollocks off The Boss. [/size][/size]
[color=#FFFFFF][size=3][size=4].[/size][/size][/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

Shame about your singer biting the big one mate :o
[/quote]
For a moment I thought that you meant that Robert Hart had just died!

[color=#222222]Writing a hit song these days often seems to about writing a hook and then letting the production carry the record. Take a good pop song like 'Moves Like Jagger' - a simple musical idea with a good lyric and the rest is all production, complete with a cameo from another famous singer. It is a good record, but there isn’t room for Todd Rundgren like songwriting chops![/color]
[color=#222222][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"] [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#222222]Also, if you look at another couple of really good big hits I’ve heard recently; ‘Crazy’ and ‘Somebody That I Used To Know’ – both great tunes but slightly familiar without sounding like any other song in particular …[/color]

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1362513557' post='2000652']
...slightly familiar without sounding like any other song in particular...
[/quote]

That's the trick, isn't it? If a song is [i]too [/i]original and ground-breaking, it won't be considered.
It's the tried and tested formula what does it. Can lead to boredom of course, but that's just my humble opinion. :)

[quote name='the_skezz' timestamp='1362510258' post='2000533']
Nope, I'd fall at the first hurdle as I absolutely refuse to use the word 'baby' in reference to a love interest, which seems to be a prerequisite for just about every pop song.
[/quote]

Shame I can't think of a rhyme for 'Bunnykins' :-)

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1362514403' post='2000681']
That's the Safeway to be :P
[/quote]

Netto lot I can say to that, really...
...except that I'm not going to be very Co-operative from now on. :P

Edited by discreet

Ahh that's good. Because when I were a nipper, Blinded by the Light and Davy's on the Road Again blew my little mind :)
[/quote]
[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1362512923' post='2000635']
[size=3][size=4]Earthband cover was ace though. Beat the bollocks off The Boss. [/size][/size]
[color=#FFFFFF][size=3][size=4].[/size][/size][/color][/quote]
Cheers guys, I should say that those records were before my time with the EB which started in '85.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1362513557' post='2000652']
For a moment I thought that you meant that Robert Hart had just died!
[/quote]
Yeah, I had to read that twice.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1362508690' post='2000480']
No, because pop songs have to be sh*t to be a hit these days. I am too good for that sort of thing.
[/quote]

Without wishing to deviate too much from the original subject of this thread , I think there was always just as much crap in the charts . The memory is very subjective - you only remember the better stuff from bygone times . Watch the repeats of 1970s TOTP on BBC4 and that point is hammered home every week .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1362515148' post='2000696']
Watch the repeats of 1970s TOTP on BBC4 and that point is hammered home every week .
[/quote]

It certainly is. I always had a rose-tinted memory of the late 70s, but watching TOTP from 1976 was a real eye-opener. With one or two notable exceptions, the charts were chock full of crap, and no mistake! :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1362515271' post='2000699']
It certainly is. I always had a rose-tinted memory of the late 70s, but watching TOTP from 1976 was a real eye-opener. With one or two notable exceptions, the charts were chock full of crap, and no mistake! :D
[/quote]

Funny you should mention 1976 , I nearly posted this clip from the charts of this week in that year to illustrate my point :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDtci6OSPzY

So bad on so many levels .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1362515148' post='2000696']
Without wishing to deviate too much from the original subject of this thread , I think there was always just as much crap in the charts . The memory is very subjective - you only remember the better stuff from bygone times . Watch the repeats of 1970s TOTP on BBC4 and that point is hammered home every week .
[/quote]
I remember seeing OMD on ToTP, they depressed the f*** out of me.