Why become a member? ×

Controlling your sound onstage?

Chest Rockwell

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1362662373' post='2002908']
just as a matter of interest when the term boost your mids is used what frequency is being talked about, mids is a pretty wide frequency range, I boost mine at about 400 Hz, how about everybody else?
[/quote]

Yeah me too, usually around that area. Nasal tones disgust me so I'm usually trying to eliminate those. I like the way BillyApple described my sound at a London Zulu gig, 'deep with bite'. That's what I'm usually after but the reason it's audible is because of the mids. People think mids scream at you but they don't, they can be used as an audible illusion to get a scooped sound in a band situation that is still audible.

IIRC there's a discussion of which frequencies generally contribute to which aspects of the perceived sound somewhere on the Barefaced website.

Ah...try here:
http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information.htm

Edited by barkin

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1362662373' post='2002908']
just as a matter of interest when the term boost your mids is used what frequency is being talked about, mids is a pretty wide frequency range, I boost mine at about 400 Hz, how about everybody else?
[/quote]

Anything from around 350 - 500Hz, depending on the room and other variables...

The reason people knock mids out of their sound is because they can't play with them... as you end up with every nuance jumoning out at you.
If you perserve with them, they will clean up your sound and style no end... but they can also be off puting and harse so cut or boost EQ methodically and sparingly..

I am not sure having to play with a crap sound onstage helps either... as you can't really be in two places at once to know what it always sounds like outfront.
I'd have no truck with an engr if he wanted to do that either..

Edited by JTUK

Yes but you can get used to and in fact love having enough mids in your sound for clarity in the mix on stage.

Its a real pain in the backside to begin with, it all sounds a bit wrong, and suddenly the bass is just screamingly loud in the mix and every nuanced error is really obvious.

Persevere, because when you get over this you find yourself playing better precisely because you can now hear those nuances. Everyone at a gig will thank you for it.....

this is kinda weird, cos I've never really had a problem with sound 'out front' at gigs... and I say that based on the people that come up and tell us what we want to hear, like 'OMG that was heavy as feck, etc', but this only at certain venues, where we know the sound and inhouse guy is good. i can make ZERO adjustments to my setup, play somewhere else, and there's no 'power' at all, or at least, none on stage.

If anyone's unsure of the effect we're after, just think Black Sabbath.

just as well, playing through a DI>desk>monitors and no bass cabs on stage, for a slow n doomy rock band, is like turning up for 100m sprint with no shoes.