Why become a member? ×

Boschma 2U shallow case - rear support rails?

dincz

I know Boschma cases are quite popular with BC users, so I'm hoping one of you can set me straight.

Just received one of these today. It's light and looks well made - like this in fact:

I wrote to Boschma previously to make sure the case had provision for rear support. They replied:
"All our racks have on the front and on the rear support rail in the profile,
so you can assembling your preamp also on the back from the case."

I can't see anything like a rear support rail - see photos below:

Am I missing something?

EDIT - I have written to Boschma but as it's the weekend, I don't expect a response until at least Monday. Thought I'd try my luck here.

Edited by dincz

My main worry is that both the pre and power amp are only 1U, so there must be a fair amount of strain on the ends of the front panels - particularly the preamp as the panel is aluminium and quite thin. Although the power amp is heavier, it's all steel and the panel is much thicker.

Edited by dincz

[quote name='umcoo' timestamp='1362769628' post='2004661']
I have a Boschma 4U Shallow case. It doesn't have rear rail support, and to be honest, I've never needed it. Had a GK 800RB in there for a few years now with no problems.
[/quote]
I have an identical setup to this, uncannily; you've got great taste in amps, sir! Likewise no rear supports in my 4u rack. I've left the feet on my 800RB and this supports the amp at the back.

To the OP, could you place the power amp below the preamp, thus minimising any flexing around each individual unit's rackmount ears?

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1362770307' post='2004672']
....My main worry is that both the pre and power amp are only 1U, so there must be a fair amount of strain on the ends of the front panels....
[/quote]

Isn't that what they're designed for?

I had my Mesa Boogie 400+ in a rack. That's about 50lbs hanging off the front rails. Like I say, that's what they do!

There's really no need for rear rails on a shallow flightcase, you're not going to get enough mechanical leverage to damage anything.

If you imagine standing the two units on top of each other, how much tension is there on the front panel?

All you're doing when you rack these two items is standing one on top of the other inside a box.
The screws just stop the items from sliding out of the case. :)