Why become a member? ×

Presonus Firepod & Macs - a warning! (UPDATE POST 6)

JimBobTTD

***See my update at post 6***

It seems that Presonus Firepods are not compatible with the Mountain Lion (10.8.x) OS. A bit of trial and error at home and "a not inconsiderable" amount of time browsing the internet confirms this. [url="http://www.presonus.com/news/press_releases/Mac-OS-X-108-Mountain-Lion-Compatibility-Statement"]Presonus's own website[/url] states that the Firepod is not compatible with OS 10.8.

[size=6]Be warned![/size]

Details, for those who doubt me or who are interested:

iMac, mid 2011, no problems, running 10.8.2 - Firepod does not connect. LED on the front remains red.

MacBook Pro, early 2011, no problems, running 10.7.5 - Firepod connects. LED on the front goes blue. Same cable as the iMac, same ports on the Firepod.

PC - Firepod connects, works etc. Different cable.

The bummer is that the MacBook is my work computer and I do not feel comfortable using it for personal stuff. The utter bummer is that I bought the iMac in early January to be my studio computer, replacing the PC I have used since 2006, and upgraded to Mountain Lion before I put anything on the computer. I then filled the computer with stuff but did not test the Firepod until just the other day.

It might all be fixed in 10.8.3 if/when it is released but then, who knows?

Edited by JimBobTTD

I have stayed with Snow Leopard. Can't justify paying out for 2 cans of turd polish (one for each Mac). One day I will be forced to upgrade, but then I'll look back sagely at all the OS revisions and bug fixes, and with any luck find the combination that still lets all my important stuff work.

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1362951412' post='2006738']
Can you revert to Snow Leopard or whatever you were running before the upgrade?
[/quote]

Well, yeah, but that will probably cause more grief than simply selling the Firepod and buying the Firestudio [i]and then pretty much not upgrading from Mountain Lion ever[/i].

• 2 weeks later...