Why become a member? ×

FANE speakers ?

dmccombe7

Anyone know much about FANE 100W 10" bass speakers bought around mid - late 80's and fitted to a custom made 2x10 cab by a local music shop.
They have always sounded great and was just curious as to what kind of quality they were.

Dave

Fane have been going for years, originally based in Batley, Yorks I think. One of the original makers of Pro Audio drivers in this country. Their stuff was widely used in all sorts of cabs in the seventies. They still make stuff after a hiccup a few years back and I've used a few of their new drivers which are very comparable with Celestion or Eminence for quality.

Thanks guys.
I used this custom cab for many yrs but was always under the impression it had celestion drivers but i have a vague recollection that the speakers went early on and i asked the local shop that built it to repair them and looks as tho they put a different type in. They are dated 1992 and the cab was originally built mid-late 80's.
Must admit the cab had a fantastic sound when paired with the matching 15" reflex.
This is the cab in question. Pretty well built too. Sturdy with aluminium edges and heavy duty corners.
Can't remember what happened to the 15" cab but it was a "vague" time in my life so who knows ?

[attachment=129602:ebay 10.3.13 007.JPG]

Thanks
Dave

Fane used to manufacture some really heavy duty bass drivers from 10" (Studio 10B) all the way up to 18" (Studio 18B).
Those were rated at 200w.

They also made a HF horn (the HF250) which you needed both hands to pick up.

Those beasties used to really pack a punch - I used to have a load of Fane loaded cabinets with Studiomaster amps and desks as a PA system back in the 80's.

[quote name='rednose200' timestamp='1363479152' post='2013304']
Today I'd forget them and go the Eminence route
[/quote]
If you are talking about the 1980's speakers he may as well go on enjoying them whilst they keep going.

As for the modern Fane speakers I think (I was told by someone with connections to Fane) at one time, when they relaunched a few years ago, they came off the same production line as some of the Eminence speakers. Certainly at the time there was a model for model matching of the alpha/beta/delta and some of the horn drivers. the Fanes were quite a bit cheaper so were a good buy. Both companies have moved on and there isn't the overlap any more. Generally though the quality remains similar in the same price range. A lot of Eminence speakers have a fairly dramatic response peak around 1-2kHz due to cone break up. In the Fane sovereign range the breakup is better controlled. (I just meant the breakup is better not necessarily the sound which is down to taste for instruments) If I wanted a touch of brightness for my cabs I'd look at the current Eminence and Celestion bass speakers, if I wanted something more neutral I'd look at the Fanes or the Celestion PA speakers. Of course not all Eminences or Fanes sound alike and you'd have to assess each speaker individually, but I see no reason in principle to go for one manufacturer over another out of these three, quality is very similar.