Why become a member? ×

new Flatwounds - E string is lifeless

squibs

Hi

I just put a new set of flatwounds (my first) on my Squier Bronco. They are Rotosound Short scale 40 - 90.

I love the feel and they sound great compared to the previous roundwounds.

But the E sting is totally lifeless, even at the right pitch, although its hard to tune because its so dead. At the 12th fret there is less sustain than a fart in the wind.

I though it might be the intonation, and I was thinking of upgrading the bridge anyway, but even now with a new full adjustable bridge. The old roundwound E string was fine.

I can see that at the top of the E, where the string becomes just the core and a single wire going around it, that little wire has snapped, but its well passed the nut and where the nylon cover starts

Any suggestions?

James
Sheffield

[quote name='squibs' timestamp='1362941686' post='2006508']
I can see that at the top of the E, where the string becomes just the core and a single wire going around it, that little wire has snapped, but its well passed the nut and where the nylon cover starts
[/quote]

FW strings don't have the same sustain that RW strings have, so that's part of what you're experiencing.

Short scale basses also don't have the same degree of sustain that their longer scaled brothers have, that's another part of what you're experiencing.

However, from the description above it sounds as though the inner core and the outer winding have parted company and that mechanical 'break' has probably tipped the scales too far.

I had the exact same problem with a set of Pyramid Gold strings, contacted the place I bought them from and they swapped me for a new set no questions asked. The new one was much better, it's definitely possible to get the odd duff string every now and then!

Sounds like what i used to get with my shortscale. I had 3 sets of different branded flatwounds and the E was dead on all of them. I just left it in the end. I got used to the sound. As i was told, there is nothing that can really be done about it as it was mentioned above, that the shortscale along with flatwounds causes the mutedness.