Why become a member? ×

Replacement B100K pot for Cort T34

jhenkins

Hello All,

A bit earlier tonight I did some "maintenance" (quotes intended) on my Cort T34 bass, mainly to fasten the slightly loosened nuts on the control pots. Well, there I went and pulled off the bass pot knob like a true Neanderthal, and the pot shaft came out with it. To be fair, this was probably a tragedy waiting to happen, since the shaft is well and truly jammed into the knurled knob. I still need to devise a way to get the shaft out of the knob without ruining it, but that is another day's worries. Does anybody know where I can get a replacement B100K mini pot, preferably of a better quality Cort's factory in Indonesia insist on using?

TIA!

Regards,
Jan Henkins

100kohms? That is an odd value. Is the bass active or passive? Passive volume controls are usually 250kohm or 500kohms. If you can't find a 100kohm, and it is passive conventional wiring, a 250kohm will work just fine, and may be less expensive since it is a standard part. If it is active, which I read your bass is because of your saying you pulled the "bass" control, then you have to stick with what is there. If it is a boost/cut control, then yes, the "B" linear taper is appropriate, and the center detent will be helpful to set it to flat, no boost or gain, and navigate from there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

Firstly an apology - I really should make it a habit to check in here every day after I have made a posting... sorry for letting it lie for so long!

neepheid - thanks for the kind offer, I did get it fixed in the end!

dinsz - the knobs like yours are only really used on the more premium Cort models like the C, GB and Artist ranges. The T series like mine is entry-level, which means they use the lower quality split-pole pots (see http://www.cortguitars.com/en/product/t34 if you are interested in the specs of the T34). Still not really "bad" quality, but you can instantly tell the difference between the other surviving 100k pot and the new pro-audio grade replacement pot. It just feels more "expensive".

iiipopes - Yes, I thought that 100k was an oddity, but since this is an active bass I suppose the usual things doesn't quite apply.

OK, it was a fascinating couple of weeks trying to get a replacement pot. I managed to find a number of possible sources for one, most of them in the US and Korea. This brought to mind some of the interesting import duty experiences I have had to contend with in the recent past, so in the end I caved in and arranged with one of my local music shops to fix it for me. An awesome job they did too, so if you are in the east of Surrey, pop in to Newtons Music in Merstham (close to Redhill, Reigate, Crawley, Croydon, Caterham, etc.).

Their website: http://guitar.newtonsmusic.co.uk/