Why become a member? ×

basically i would love to have a fretless as i dont need two fretted jazz basses.
The hardware (tuners, string tree and nut) is included including a hipshot drop tuner. (the other tuners are Schaller)
Conditions are that it must be a genuine licensed Fender neck...with its hardware of course just like mine :)
No cash is accepted. Sorry.

Pics:

Any questions, feel free to ask or PM.
Mike

Edited by the_house123

Well I managed it so it can't be too bad ! Patience and a steady hand are what you need to get them out, I used a (sharpish) knife to get under the edge of the frets at the one side and then slowly lever them up, and the pliers to remove the rest of them. Splintering of the wood is inevitable, but taking your time it and glueing them back if it happens will sort that.

Once you've got the lot out (about a minute per fret once you get into a rhythm) then you'll want to sand the neck down and fill the gaps with wood filler using a spatula or the side of a knife. Let it dry (day or 2) then sand the neck down with firstly course sandpaper, and then lowering grades until the neck is as you want it to be and nice and smooth. A nice dose of lemon oil later and it'll look great. If you want to epoxy it then don't ask me :).

Splintering the wood can be avoided. Heat your solder gun up then coat each fret with flux, apply a tiny amount of solder to the top of the fret and keep the iron running across the top of the fret, this then heats the fret sufficiently so as to melt any glue that may be under the fret and it also expands the fret so making the slot a tiny bit wider to. The fret cools slightly and the slot remains widened.
It's a messy job but gets a much better result.

also great information, i think il defrett this neck myself, seams like it isnt going to be too hard after all. The hardest part i believe will be taking the frets out. Thanks for the advice guys. Il ammend the thread name as im now not going to sell this.