Why become a member? ×

Fingering Technique

BassSwede

Hi guys! I need some tips or encouragement here....

Innuendo you say? Yes... possibly so. Got your attention though, so it worked :)

To the question. I am stuck practicing with my fretting hand. It's an exercise that I found here [url="http://www.studybass.com/lessons/bass-technique/the-flying-fingers-problem/exercises/"]http://www.studybass.com/lessons/bass-technique/the-flying-fingers-problem/exercises/[/url] . My problem with the exercise is twofold:

1. I find it just about impossible to actually keep the pinky finger fretting its note on the G-string while fretting other notes on the D-string with the other fingers. Yes... keeping a note while fretting others, it's an exercise, not a song :-)
2. When I play the continuous ringing note with another finger and fret the D-string with my pinky I have a heck of a time not unintentionally mute the G-string trying to reach over it.

Do you guys think these are problems I will overcome or do you have suggestions on something else I should try? Anyone with similar experience from starting the bass?

Thanks!

/ Swede

From your description it sounds like your thumb is too far up the back of the neck.

Imagine a line running along the length of the middle of the neck.
Keeping your hand relaxed, move your thumb so that it's on that line.

That should allow your fingers to press the strings at a sharper angle and avoid (hopefully) unwanted muting.

HTH

Hi! Thanks for replying, it greatly appreciated.

I have been trying the exercise with your response in mind and I believe I need to find some different angles. My fingers (especially pinky) are quite short. If I move the thumb any lower I can only reach the G-string now without bending the wrist ;-) I did notice quite a bit off difference in my finger movement depending on where I put the thumb in relation to the hand, while still on the imagined line you mentioned. I will just keep it up for a while and figure it out. And I will remember to stay relaxed.

Thanks!

/ Swede

The thumbline is just a useful way of illustrating how thumb position influences the angle at which your fingers meet the fingerboard.

I don't use it as a rigid rule - you might find that moving a little either side of that imaginary line helps get the appropriate finger angle easier.

The other thing to consider is the height of the bass - wear it too low and you may find it awkward as well.

The important thing is to persevere with it - it'll all suddenly fall into place and then you'll wonder what on earth the problem was. :)

Ah, there was the encouragement, thanks mate! :-)

Yeah I know what you mean with the thumb line. I just need to fins my correct angles there. They say you may struggle and struggle and then you just get it and bam, you start to pick up things so easily for a while. My bam will come too, some day in the future :-)

I keep my bass quite high, straight wrists, using the shoulder strap to hold it alone, hands are just used to play. Doesn't look heavy metal... but in all honesty, I am not very heavy metal.

Thanks!

/ Swede