Why become a member? ×

Why do we NOT gig?

bagsieblue

It`s interesting that the main theme through this post is the difficulties experienced with other musicians, and not careers or families.

That was the reason why I gave up for a few years, I just couldn`t bear the thought of working with another "dedicated/professional".

I`m lucky now that in both of my bands, we don`t have any really difficult characters. In a band I was in a few years ago, there was one, and in hindsight I should have just left him to it. Hindsight being a great thing, as now if anyone I work with exhibits that kind of behaviour I`ll simply put it to the band, I`m going because of xxxx. If they`re happy with that, fine, if they decide to oust xxxx also fine, but I won`t work with people like that again.

So if I`m not gigging, it`s invariably due to another musician.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1363678953' post='2015536']
You'll only get better in a band mate. Bass is pretty pointless and can be boring outside of a band.
[/quote]

Hmmmm, not sure I agree with that. If you play your bass for your own enjoyment (because you like the sound and feel of it) that can hardly be described as "pointless" IMO. And it needn't be boring either! :)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1363679273' post='2015541']

One day I'll stop gigging all together - most likely for one of two reasons. I may start and feel too old and tired - or even too ill - to give it the energy I like to , that's one reason. I think it more likely, though, that my utter disrespect of the punters in front of me (along with my cynical distrust....more like hatred... of landlords and small time wannabe promoters) will finally get too much. I care not if anyone says I'm crap - water off a duck's back , and besides I know I'm a good craftsman - but I despise being told how brilliant I am by folk who wouldn't know a decent tune from a kick in the pods. It sucks the joy away for me. I often wonder why I gig at all when I feel so strongly about this - but somehow 'Dr Dave' is an alter ego that takes on a differring persona when he leaves the house with a bass in his hand and sees the gig as 'feeding time' for himself.
[/quote]
I must admit that I find that difficult to understand from someone with your experience.

There is no reason why any member of the audience should have any higher appreciation of music - the only thing expert opinion that they may have is in what they like.

If anyone in the audience feel moved to comment favourably on what I do, then I thank them kindly without taking it too seriously - at least that is one person who has been entertained for whatever reason!

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1363683883' post='2015606']
I must admit that I find that difficult to understand from someone with your experience.

There is no reason why any member of the audience should have any higher appreciation of music - the only thing expert opinion that they may have is in what they like.

If anyone in the audience feel moved to comment favourably on what I do, then I thank them kindly without taking it too seriously - at least that is one person who has been entertained for whatever reason!
[/quote]

It's just not been my experience , Pete. Simple as that. I know when I've played and sung well and I know when I haven't. My 'experience' as a player may well have helped me cover for myself to an extent when I'm having a bad night but it changes nothing really. In the early days my ego used to enjoy being told how wonderful I am but I started to notice that I was told that even on bad nights. Either as an individual or as a band punter comments have not been in line with the quality of performance. I'm told we're bad when we're good - I'm told I'm good when I'm bad. It's regular and consistent. Other than it being down to the sort of places I normally play what other conclusion would you have me draw ?

I note your comment that if a punter enjoys themselves then it's fine - and I have no right to expect them to be musically clued up - but as a musician I can't help the fact that I have no respect for punters opinions. Maybe my stage persona does - it allows me to be polite and grateful to those who pay my wages - but when I get home I just think 'w***ers'. Sorry if that bothers you , and I may have more faces than the town hall clock - but it's just an honest expression of how I feel and - as I said - I think it will be that that eventually retires me from gigging.

Edited by Dr.Dave

I'm writing an album at the moment, and when it's done, hopefully by the end of the year or early 2014, I intend to put a band together to play it and get some gigs. However, I am not going to be in it, I just want to watch the band playing my music, so in that sense I am both gigging and not gigging at the same time I think :ph34r:

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1363675831' post='2015520']
I think Milty has an illness or condition that may impede him from playing in a band. Sure he'll clarify, though.
[/quote]

I think he knows I know that. I do hope all that changes soon though. :)

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1363683883' post='2015606']

[/quote]

+ a lot. NEVER disrespect your audience.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1363681769' post='2015573']
I also read it as Lazytits!
[/quote]

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1363681909' post='2015576']
We should start a club!
[/quote]

Sounds like a band that comprises of bassists that sit in armchairs (& possibly with foot stools) in front of the audience.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363684845' post='2015623']
I'm writing an album at the moment, and when it's done, hopefully by the end of the year or early 2014, I intend to put a band together to play it and get some gigs. However, I am not going to be in it, I just want to watch the band playing my music, so in that sense I am both gigging and not gigging at the same time I think :ph34r:
[/quote]

That's a genius idea. All the satisfaction of hearing your music played live, while being able to sit down with a drink and enjoy it :D

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1363646923' post='2015393']
Nig you don't look your age!

Ay, I'm envious, but you have obviously worked at getting into those bands, so all credit to you. :)
[/quote]

I was going to say this!!! Nige, you do not look anywhere near 50 from what you've posted up of your gigs with Kit.... blimey, I thought you were about my age.

Maybe this is conclusive proof that healthy living, the love of a good partner and regular gigging with bands you love are the secret to staying youthful..... I have 2 of the 3..... I live in hope to start turning the clock back on my appearance :P

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1363685333' post='2015641']
I was going to say this!!! Nige, you do not look anywhere near 50 from what you've posted up of your gigs with Kit.... blimey, I thought you were about my age.

Maybe this is conclusive proof that healthy living, the love of a good partner and regular gigging with bands you love are the secret to staying youthful..... I have 2 of the 3..... I live in hope to start turning the clock back on my appearance :P
[/quote]

Well thank you!

However, healthy living has never played any part, I've smoked for over 30 years, drink too much, don't really get enough fruit or veg, (although I just started making fresh smoothies at home every morning so that helps, and I always cook fresh food from raw ingredients) and I don't really get much exercise. I think it's having some Indian blood on my mum's side, and a lifetime of steroid cream for my world class eczema :D :lol:

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1363685333' post='2015641']

[/quote]

Yes, Nigel, you look very youthful in your avatar. Couldn't say the same for your previous one though. :D

Edited by MiltyG565

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1363685071' post='2015628']
Sounds like a band that comprises of bassists that sit in armchairs (& possibly with foot stools) in front of the audience.
[/quote]

That's the best kind. And we shall regale the audience with out whimsical stories. It will be the best club that ever existed.

I have to agree with some of the post's on here !
I originally moved from a small town to Leeds to form a band, I'd had some limited success in other bands but were struggling to meet musicians who could do what I was looking for. I didn't know anyone here so it was a big risk moving to a big city & was pretty much isolated from all that I knew at the time.

When I got here all I got was chancers & speakers of bull waste, some were unreliable but talented, some were nice people but could not deliver what they said they could, some were stoners, some were big drinkers, failure after failure & I started to question that I had made the right decision, I joined a few bands that were OK but did not have the drive that I had, some had potential but had internal issues that would not end well (Most didn't end well at all) & I soon realised that I needed to rethink & maybe move to a new city (Maybe London) I then managed to get offered a part in an up & coming band that had a solid following & we went pretty far with it....but drugs & in fighting was the bands downfall and I one day walked out, there was local fanzene's who were waiting to see what would "Rise from the ashes" of our band but I just didn't have the heart to start again......I sold my bass & walked away from the whole thing & didn't pick up another bass for over 10 years.

To this day I have always said to be in an originals band it would have to be something really special to tempt me back, no ego's, no stars, just a project (not a band) of people that we value what is coming out of the speakers more than how the individual feels. A project that enjoys what they are doing and the feeling of creativity that is the centre of it all. I have watched websites & seen no adverts that make me want to join them so I am happy where I am at the moment.
My life now is not really set up for a band anymore, I cannot commit to gigging every weekend as I am a part time dad so every second weekend I have my son (And he is the world to me), I have two dogs & a full time job so practice session times are limited & all these things restrict my chances of ever joining a band.

Why don't I gig ? because I don't see being in a band as essential to my happiness, I would love to create some recordings that are different & makes me feel excited but I'm really not interested about doing gigs anymore.The main fact for me is that I know deep down relying on people just leaves me feeling disappointed & I really cannot be bothered to go through all that again.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1363684845' post='2015622']

It's just not been my experience , Pete. Simple as that. I know when I've played and sung well and I know when I haven't. My 'experience' as a player may well have helped me cover for myself to an extent when I'm having a bad night but it changes nothing really. In the early days my ego used to enjoy being told how wonderful I am but I started to notice that I was told that even on bad nights. Either as an individual or as a band punter comments have not been in line with the quality of performance. I'm told we're bad when we're good - I'm told I'm good when I'm bad. It's regular and consistent. Other than it being down to the sort of places I normally play what other conclusion would you have me draw ?

I note your comment that if a punter enjoys themselves then it's fine - and I have no right to expect them to be musically clued up - but as a musician I can't help the fact that I have no respect for punters opinions. Maybe my stage persona does - it allows me to be polite and grateful to those who pay my wages - but when I get home I just think 'w***ers'. Sorry if that bothers you , and I may have more faces than the town hall clock - but it's just an honest expression of how I feel and - as I said - I think it will be that that eventually retires me from gigging.
[/quote]
It doesn't bother me as such, I'm just amazed that you let things like that bother you

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363685048' post='2015627']

+ a lot. NEVER disrespect your audience.
[/quote]
NEVER is a strong word - there are several audiences that I have extreme disrespect for! I'm just surprised that it is such a common occurance for Dave...

Nicely put , Sir Fumps - I'm actually envious. The bit where you say being in a band isn't essential to your happiness jumps out at me. Playing gigs is certaily essential to my happiness - that's the trouble. I don't know how to enjoy music as a consumer - ony as a creator. I can't be in the audience - I hate it. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't gig - however frustrating or unfulfilling I often find it. Folk say - ' come have a pint and watch a band with us '. I don't because to me that just equates to doing nothing.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1363689843' post='2015772']
NEVER is a strong word - there are several audiences that I have extreme disrespect for! I'm just surprised that it is such a common occurance for Dave...
[/quote]

It must be a Dave thing, i had the same problem when i was doing covers bands. The drunken weirdos telling you that your band is the best band ever. Which is clearly not true. I really hated it, though I did of course thank them and smile politely, as one has to.

It's much easier on the originals circuit, nobody even turns up, let alone tells you the liked it.
:)

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1363690153' post='2015781']
Nicely put , Sir Fumps - I'm actually envious. The bit where you say being in a band isn't essential to your happiness jumps out at me. Playing gigs is certaily essential to my happiness - that's the trouble. I don't know how to enjoy music as a consumer - ony as a creator. I can't be in the audience - I hate it. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't gig - however frustrating or unfulfilling I often find it. Folk say - ' come have a pint and watch a band with us '. I don't because to me that just equates to doing nothing.
[/quote]
Hi Sir Dave
Yeh mate, I love music full stop, if it's mine or someone else's, I just love music, As i say I'd love to be in a project that records but does not really do gigs as such. I just don't really have the compulsion anymore

Playing bass and NOT gigging is a concept I don't understand. I learnt how to play bass as a kid in order to join a band and gig in front of an audience.

No other reason.

I don't have to [i]enjoy[/i] what I'm playing in order to have a good gig but I do have to have the satisfaction that I played as well as I possibly could. When I stop gigging I’ll probably never play bass again. I think I’ll put an upright piano in the back room and learn to play that instead.

There are enjoyment gigs and professional gigs, covers gigs and originals gigs; the aim is that I do the best job, get paid and the band, promoter and audience walk away happy, and if possible impressed, every time.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1363689843' post='2015772']
It doesn't bother me as such, I'm just amazed that you let things like that bother you

[/quote]

Pete - I don't claim to be right or wrong or that my feelings on the matter are good , bad or indifferent. I just offered it as what I think will be the reason I eventually stop gigging. I can make myself deal with it/put up with it/react positively etc etc but the feeling remains and it will get to me in the end.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1363691360' post='2015813']
Playing bass and NOT gigging is a concept I don't understand. When I stop gigging I’ll probably never play bass again. [/quote]

How bizarre. :blink: So you have no love for the instrument itself? It is merely a tool of your trade? :(

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1363691662' post='2015826']
....How bizarre. :blink: So you have no love for the instrument itself? It is merely a tool of your trade?....
[/quote]

I know a lot about the world of bass, it's history, etc and it has been a lifelong love and interest, but as I said, playing with and for others is the aim.

Instruments are a tool; they are enablers. You need the best tools for the job, but the goal is always the band and the gig.