Why become a member? ×

Given Up

waynepunkdude

Not bass but just caring about every little bloody detail, I have a nice bass, if I can't make it sound good that's my problem, not the action, pick ups, wood, neck radius, whether it it has an over priced piece of foam under the amp. It's all down to me and if I'm enjoying playing then I couldn't give a crap about all that stuff.

If you sound crap then it's probably your fault and TBH I'm enjoying too much too care.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1363685095' post='2015630']
Not bass but just caring about every little bloody detail, I have a nice bass, if I can't make it sound good that's my problem, not the action, pick ups, wood, neck radius, whether it it has an over priced piece of foam under the amp. It's all down to me and if I'm enjoying playing then I couldn't give a crap about all that stuff.

If you sound crap then it's probably your fault and TBH I'm enjoying too much too care.
[/quote]

Welcome back, little ray of sunshine today aren't you :lol:

Agree. For me, having been through all the detail stuff, and finding what is the right kit for me, it`s now all about the playing. Strangely, the right kit for is the bass or amp without any modifications - wish I`d known this from the start, though it was fun - albeit costly - finding out.

Good call, and very true. I think that the people who endlessly search for tonal nirvana by constantly swapping nuts, bridges, strings, pickups etc. subconsciously know that it all makes very little difference when you're on stage. But hey, it's a hobby, and some people find that stuff just as enjoyable as playing. Like my friend who has a fancy bike that I can lift with one finger; he enjoys the part-swapping and the maintenance as much as riding. It's a form of therapy.
Wayne - maybe your marriage (has it happened yet?) has filled that particular void in your life :-D

I'm not passing comment on Wayne or anyone else but I think , as a player , when you start out it takes a long time before you get properly confident in what you do. You never quite know whether you've 'arrived' or not. Whether you're 'good enough' or not. All that time you're experimenting with gear and twiddling knobs - probably losing money hand over fist doing it ........... then one day it just goes away. It's the moment when you know you can roll your own. When you don't automatically assume any issue must be your fault. When you know that things don't have to be right or wrong , they can just be different.

It's a delicious moment that I had at about 27. I envy anyone who has it to come because you only get it once.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1363685095' post='2015630']

[/quote]

Yes!!! I hate all this extra stuff that some players have. It seems some players have themselves convinced that they [u]need[/u] all these extra outboard EQs, extra pre amps, compressors (even though you're going through an in house PA where it will be compressed), various filters and worst of all the need for a minimum wattage before you will consider gigging! I played to 8,000 people with 250 watts on stage and heard myself fine. As Wooten said in a master class, work on playing notes and make that one note sound nice.

Just Wilko it and have fun! ie bass-amp-cab. Less is more and it is all in the fingers.

Dan

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1363688763' post='2015740']
Just like changing from Wilson to Ping isn't gonna improve how good you are at putting I suppose.

Are you entering the photo comp this month?
[/quote]

I haven't got the time mate, wedding is on the 30th but once I get back from my honeymoon I shall re-join.

I was just wondering where you'd been recently... Good to know you're still about :D Have an excellent wedding!

I think people get mixed up between a sound that's good, and a sound that they want. Ever since my first day playing bass I've been lucky to have a good sound, but I'm always chopping and changing because the sound that I want to have is slightly different. I'm getting closer and closer! The only time I've ever had a sound that was actually bad was when I used a Behringer 4x10 combo. It just made everything sound like you dropped an old out of tune piano down the stairs :lol:

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1363698621' post='2015991']
Plus I have a bright orange Stingray why would anyone want anything else?
[/quote]

Actually, I can't make Stingray's sound good. I must be the only person in the world, so I can't shift the blame :P

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1363697841' post='2015973']
I haven't got the time mate, wedding is on the 30th but once I get back from my honeymoon I shall re-join.
[/quote]

Have a great wedding. My only advice there is take every minute of it in & enjoy the whole day.
Where you off to on honeymoon?

being a beassist isn't what I do, it's what I am. i will probably spend the rest of my life always searching for that one bit of gear that's gonna make everything right - even though it may not be needed or even exist.

For me it's the journey rather than the destination.