Why become a member? ×

Aguilar TH heads (or others!) with Eden cabs...?

Ashwood1985

Howdy y'all,

So I've recently been using a WT550 head with a 112xlt and have just picked up a 210xlt to run with it or as seperates.

I absolutely low the tone of the 550 but the weight means that if i'm not in the car (london gigs) its too heavy along with my 112. So I was considering my options (ir when i have he cash) on a super light head that I can chuck in the gig bag, whack the 112 on a hand truck and jump on the underground!

Any opinions/experience/insight into using the tonehammer heads (350/500) or GB shuttle with Eden cabs? Any other particular suggestions for pairing with my golden boxes of mojo?

Key priority is weight, solid tone and very usable EQ (not so fussed about heavily driven tone etc as I have pedals :-P)

I should probably also mention that I play a passive jazz, passive P and an active mayones 6er. So with the tonal variety of these basses I'm thinking that a head too inherently bright and modern or dark and vintage will not fit with all 3 basses.... I find the WT550 to have a very usable tone for all 3 as a reference point. If only it was 15lbs lighter! :-/

Cheers,

Ash

Edited by Ashwood1985

I have a Shuttle 9.0 and had a WT550. If you love the tone of the WT then GB/TH heads are not for you, they lack too much on the low end. Even though both heads have a great tone and definition they can't go as low as the WT, i sold mine and kept the Thunderfunk because i don't like so much rumble on my sound. The GB is still with me and is a very good solution for those ocasions where size and portability are important (rehearsalls, jams, small gigs)

From my experience i believe a Markbass F1 or F500 will be a safer bet or even a EBS Reidmar if you like their voicing.

Hi Ghost,

Thanks for the response mate.

When you say loss in low end: I assume we are talking sub energy?

Have you (or anyone else) got much to say about how the Aguilar and genz's reproduction of a low B?

Maybe a markbass is the way to go. I've just felt in the past they are a maybe little too clean.