Why become a member? ×

P Bass Bridge Positioning

Myke

So stupid question, probably been answered a hundred times already but..

I have a new bridge for my fretless project and as I've filled the holes for the old one and am going to paint over them, how will I work out where to put it?

Sorry if this is a face palm moment :)

Cheers :D

Measure the distance between the nut and the 12th fret.

The bridge saddles need to be positioned so that the distance between them and the 12th fret matches that first measurement.

In other words, the 12th fret needs to be the centre point between the nut and the bridge saddles. :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1363910927' post='2019596']
Measure the distance between the nut and the 12th fret.

The bridge saddles need to be positioned so that the distance between them and the 12th fret matches that first measurement.

In other words, the 12th fret needs to be the centre point between the nut and the bridge saddles. :)
[/quote]

Ah, okay :) Thank you very much :)

Would I put the saddles in the middle of the bridge just for ease of measuring and then adjust for intonation afterwards?

:)

That's a tough one. :)

My response would historically have always been 'yes', but the last time I said that I was told I was wrong.

There's a discussion about it here: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/198402-intonation-not-right/page__p__1960078__hl__bridge%20intonation%20position__fromsearch__1#entry1960078

I'd say put them forward to at least 80% of their travel. They nearly always have to go back to compensate for intonation. Use the highest/thinnest string as your reference point - almost guaranteed to be the furthest forward saddle. In fact, I'd go so far to say if the G saddle isn't the furthest forward then there's something weird going on.

One time I didn't put them forward enough and I only just made it for intonating the E string - really had to squash that spring!

Edited by neepheid

Ah thank you iCastle :) I actually remember reading that now :)

And also thank you Neepheid, this seems to agree with the other posts in that thread

So pretty much, saddles at the front of the bridge. First to 12th fret. Then 12th to the saddles at same distance :)

Awesome! Thank you for the help people :)