Why become a member? ×

Snap Jack leads... Any good?

Jellyfish

The shop I work at is selling some Snap Jack cables off cheap (£10 for a 20ft/6m length cable). They're obviously very good as I've seen a lot of reputable artists use them, but I can't find much feedback on them from bassists. I was just wondering if anyone used them regularly and can attest to their quality and longevity. :)

I got one free with a bass I bought...

It was OK. The jack plugs are a little over-engineered and clunky and might not fit into some recessed jack sockets. You do have to be careful how you pull them when unplugging as you can leave the jack part behind still in the socket - not what you want to happen with an active bass. Eventually one of the jacks got lost (probably left plugged into a DI box after a gig) which pretty much rendered the cable useless.

If they were £5 a go, I'd take a couple, but for £10 I'd rather pay a bit more and get some OBBM cables instead.

To be honest, the equivalent OBBM cable (6 metres in length) would cost £24. It would be well worth it of course, I own one of them myself. However I think you're right about it not being worth it. They tend to be recommended by professional bassists who have a lot of stage space and more than a couple of basses!

Orchid Electronics use Neutrik connectors and Van Damme "Pro Grade Classic XKE" instrument cable (i.e. really really good), for about the same price as the Snap Jack ones you mention. Different colours at no extra charge, right angle jacks, free postage, generally next day delivery, etc. You have to email them to explain what you want, and they'll quote you a price, but you get outstanding value, service and communication.

http://www.orchid-electronics.co.uk/