Why become a member? ×

Signs of old age creeping in.......?

Big_Stu

Is it a sign of old age that I just jumped up to crank an old song up on the radio? For the brass as well as the bass?
The depth of the bass, the clarity, and the richness of the brass.............. I am so going to add to my shopping list a VBO of............... Frankie Valli!!!

Anyone know what bass was used, I'm assuming Fender?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdYGjQtNLW4[/media]

Now you've made me feel even older! In my old band I was always elected to sing the Frankie Valli numbers - & play bass at the same time :o wasn't a problem in the 70's :D but it sure is these days :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDxhugRKZ8g

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1364211514' post='2023146']
Come on then John, give us a song... :D
[/quote]
I reckon my undercrackers must've been a lot tighter in them days :o & no I haven't still got them - or the loons :P

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1364211319' post='2023139']
Now you've made me feel even older! In my old band I was always elected to sing the Frankie Valli numbers - & play bass at the same time :o wasn't a problem in the 70's :D but it sure is these days :P[/quote]

I used to be able to do a passable Frankie Valli voice in my "younger years" & could do the "[size=6]Fame[/size], [size=5]Fame[/size] [size=4]Fame[/size] [size=2]Fame [size=4]from that Bowie song (I forget the name of it just now) until I had a severe throat infection at 25 which I've never recovered properly from.[/size][/size]

Loons, oh my word, I've just shuddered at the thought of some of the loon pants I had. Somewhere there is a pic of me gigging in a yellow pair with blue stitching. Sad thing is I thought I looked so damned groovy :blush: . They were teamed with a blue silk Jacket with red buttons and a large floppy Roger Glover type felt hat.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1364212045' post='2023162']
Somewhere there is a pic of me gigging in a yellow pair with blue stitching. They were teamed with a blue silk Jacket with red buttons and a large floppy Roger Glover type felt hat.
[/quote]

Pics, please! :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1364211775' post='2023152']
Pics, please! :D
[/quote]
I don't think any of the few pictures I had survived the divorce, can't remember seeing any since, I'll have a search - don't hold your breath :blush:
[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1364212045' post='2023162']
Loons, oh my word, I've just shuddered at the thought of some of the loon pants I had. Somewhere there is a pic of me gigging in a yellow pair with blue stitching. Sad thing is I thought I looked so damned groovy :blush: . They were teamed with a blue silk Jacket with red buttons and a large floppy Roger Glover type felt hat.
[/quote]
I think we need a new thread (no pun intended) I remember walking bloody miles in that London Oxford St. etc searching for cuban heeled leather boots in blue with side zips, got them in the end.
Also asking my Mum if she would make me some trousers if I got the material, you should've seen her face when I brought home a huge bundle of bright red cordorouy & asked her for IIRC 24" bottoms!

So that was me - hair over shoulders, big ginger beard, embroidered shirts, really red loons & blue boots, lucky the fashion police didn't get me :P all in front of 2 x HiWatts ontop a Orange 2x18 cab, talk about a splash of colour B)

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1364211319' post='2023139']
Now you've made me feel even older! In my old band I was always elected to sing the Frankie Valli numbers - & play bass at the same time
[/quote]

I used to do 'walk like a man' , though more of a 'Divine' version wtih gruff , rather than falsetto vocals.

Reading this I just went and had a crack at a F V vocal and I couldn't get anywhere near !

I think I might resurrect 'Walk like a Man'. Current band ought to be able to churn out a sort of ZZ Toppish version.

Great tune tune, great arrangement, great vox, Infact great all round.

They picked the wrong day for that Brass session.....
It seems the Trumpet players were on a national strike or half pay.
A few Bones 'boning about though.

Edit - Blimmey i am getting old and my hearing is going as well.
Maybe some Trumpets there, in the chorus.

Garry

Edited by lowdown