Why become a member? ×

Volume drop in pedal effects loop

Kev

I have just tried my Mesa Boogie bottle rocket in the effects loop of my 3leaf wonderlove and find the bottle rocket unusable; there is a massive volume drop when the pedal is engaged. The Mesa seems to work fine outside of the loop and other pedals work fine in the loop, any ideas? I thought it may be an issue with the valves in the pedal but as I say they work fine outside of the loop.

Help :)

Swaping the wires around won't work. Only easy way to fix it is to put another pedal in the loop that also flips the phase - most simple single-transistor boost/buffer circuits do so, so if you happen to have one of those lying around, stick it before or after the Mesa.

Okay, i can see that the majority of those pedals will only work when engaged, which is not suitable for me as the Mesa will be a pretty much always on pedal without further effects. I need something that will do it's thing in bypass, is there no little box or something on the market that does the job??

Edited by Kev

After reading that thread, i notice that there seems to also be a general consensus that the problem is barely noticeable in a mono rig. Is phase really my issue? As the volume drop is significant and could never be described as barely noticeable!

The problem is most definitely noticeable in a mono rig, moreso than stereo! If left and right channels are out of phase with each other and coming out of separate speakers at least it will sound ok in some parts of the room, but if you only have one channel, and you mix two out of phase signals together they cancel each other out before they even get to the speaker.

I think the EHX LPB-1 should do the trick and is pretty cheap. A guitarist friend of mine suffered the same issue running this pedal through the FX loop of his amp which was blended in parallel, so it must be a phase flipper.

Edited by dannybuoy

Will the LPB-1 flip the phase in bypass mode? I cannot imagine it will as it will be true bypass. I dont really want to use anything that will effect the tone, simply a completely transparent pedal/device that will allow me to use the Mesa as an always on pedal within the Wonderlove loop. I can see the barge concepts VB JR, Mosquite Blender and Gigrig Humdinger do it but by no means am i prepared to spend that kind of money!!

It's signal and ground you're swapping in that case.

I'm surprised spencer hasn't taken "inverting" pedals into account with his most recent design and added a phase switch. Ironically the crap blend implementation of the original meatball would have worked better for inverting pedals!

I'm not really aware of the theory, it's just I've been told in the past that changing the wires round on one end of a jack cable would flip the phase... and I honestly thought I'd had it off a lecturer at uni. Oh well, it's not the first time I've found out something I learned at uni was bollocks.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1364454676' post='2026633']
Easy way to tell if it's a phase issue. Turn the blend down so none of the clean signal is present. If that's louder than 50/50 blend then phase is the issue.
[/quote]

So turn the blend knob on the wonderlove so it is fully wet, and compare to when it's 50:50? If that's the case, the volume at 50:50 is much louder so it's not a phase issue?