Why become a member? ×

MIM Precision 60th anniversary

solo4652

Folks,

I have my eye on an MIM Precision 60th anniversary, just like this: [url="http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Fender_-_60th_Anniversary_Standard_Precision_Bass/FEN-0146102355"]http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Fender_-_60th_Anniversary_Standard_Precision_Bass/FEN-0146102355[/url]

Will the American series pickup make a noticeable difference compared to a standard MIM pickup?

Steve

Edited by solo4652

The American pickups I find to be fuller and less clanky, having less top-end. Strangely enough, at quiet volumes they actually sound a bit unexciting in comparison, with the MIMs seeming to have a lot more life, but get to gigging volumes and you then appreciate the solidity and even-ness of the US.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1364372657' post='2025440']
I had one of these, I'd recommend playing before you buy, I didn't like the neck at all.
[/quote]

What was it about the neck you disliked? I see you have a Blazer - I have one too. If I buy the MIM P, either it or the Blazer will be my gig back-up and the other will have to go. Which do you prefer, and why?

Edited by solo4652

I love mine. But be warned, apparently it's not an American standard pickup in the 60th anniversary. According to a post from a rep at fender uk it was instead a mex made 60's reissue pickup. I cannot remember what forum it was on as it was a long time ago but it's worth a google search. He went on to say it was a catalogue mistake that was never changed. I must admit they lacked a bit of low end.

I replaced the pick up with some fralins and it's now so good that it is the only bass I will never sell.

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1364424919' post='2026462']
I love mine. But be warned, apparently it's not an American standard pickup in the 60th anniversary. According to a post from a rep at fender uk it was instead a mex made 60's reissue pickup. I cannot remember what forum it was on as it was a long time ago but it's worth a google search. He went on to say it was a catalogue mistake that was never changed. I must admit they lacked a bit of low end.

I replaced the pick up with some fralins and it's now so good that it is the only bass I will never sell.
[/quote]

Hmmm - that's interesting! I'm hoping to try the bass out in the next few days, but it will only be in the seller's house, through my practice amp - so, not a good representation of gig-level tone and volume.

[quote name='Lee Carter' timestamp='1364469956' post='2026849']
Just my two-penneth but I to tried one of these and found the neck to be bloody awful. Hard to put my finger on why, it just felt very unwieldy in my hands, could of been my hands of course ;-)
[/quote]

Well, that's interesting - you're echoing what cocco was saying, above. Pickup seems to be a little dubious too. I'm losing interest..

Agree with some of the opinions on this.
I tried one of these in Dawson's - they were telling me about it having a USA pickup - which I didn't think sounded up to much compared to the other P's they had in. Makes sense now reading the above.
Seems like a bit of a 'Frankenstein' / random Fender parts bass.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1364331336' post='2025058']
Folks,

I have my eye on an MIM Precision 60th anniversary, just like this: [url="http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Fender_-_60th_Anniversary_Standard_Precision_Bass/FEN-0146102355"]http://www.soundsliv.../FEN-0146102355[/url]

Will the American series pickup make a noticeable difference compared to a standard MIM pickup?

Steve
[/quote]
I would be more worried about the quoted weight - 12Kg :( suppose it's a concrete body :o

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1364473813' post='2026924']
I would be more worried about the quoted weight - 12Kg :( suppose it's a concrete body :o
[/quote]

Crikey - hadn't spotted that. So, 12 Kg (26.5 Lbs). It might even be heavier than my mahogany-and-brass Blazer. Surely not.

Edited by solo4652