Why become a member? ×

A question about pickups

ChickenKiev

Right, so I've spotted a bass I really want. It's an ltd Phoenix 204. So basically a Thunderbird clone. I was curious about something if I decided to replace the pickups.

Does it matter where the pickups go on a bass or can they be put anywhere? From my understanding there are certain hotspots on a guitar or bass in terms of pickup placement, will it sound like arse if I do something like this:

[IMG]http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p611/jamesyjamesyjamesy/7AB8DE96-A654-4294-9529-97ED342B7098-500-00000112D182DB1C_zpsb24190c9.jpg[/IMG]

Obviously there is string spacing to take into consideration too as I believe the ltd has a much longer scale length than a typical Precision. That's why I placed it more towards the neck in my crappy Paint mock-up as on a Precision the split pickup is more central on the body.

I bet you're all wondering why I wouldn't just go and pick up a Fender Precision, right? Well for one, I just don't think they look as sexy (despite their phenomenal sound I want something that has that something special in the looks department), but from what I hear from many people, and my fiddlings with an Epi Bird at my local music shop, Thunderbirds sound muddier than a muddy thing. So this is kinda my theoretical solution.

But anyway, any feedback would be cracking.

Kiev.

Edited by ChickenKiev

Let me address a few misconceptions:

The LTD is exactly the same scale length as a Precision (34").

An Epiphone Thunderbird is hardly representative of all Thunderbirds. Different wood, different pickups, different construction. The only thing that an Epiphone Thunderbird (a bolt on neck one anyway) has in common with a Gibson Thunderbird is the shape and the parent company. Misplaced generalisations are not helpful.

Put the split P in the same place as it would be on a P bass relative to the scale length and it'll sound ... similar to a P.

Edited by neepheid

Aye yeah, plus I think the Phoenix is made of Maple or Basswood with a bolt-on neck, so it's a different animal completely to a real Gibbo.

Never knew the neck was the same length though. I suppose it's an optical illusion.

Okay I'll place the split-P in the middle then and squish it next to the bridge-position soapbar. And I definitely want it to sound like a P :D. Hopefully it'll be like a Precision+. Maybe like one of those Precision Deluxes I've seen knocking about.

Edited by ChickenKiev

[quote name='ChickenKiev' timestamp='1364397148' post='2025902']
Aye yeah, plus I think the Phoenix is made of Maple or Basswood with a bolt-on neck, so it's a different animal completely to a real Gibbo.

Never knew the neck was the same length though. I suppose it's an optical illusion.
[/quote]

Product knowledge: http://www.espguitars.co.uk/bass-ltd-phoenix204.html

[quote]
Okay I'll place the split-P in the middle then and squish it next to the bridge-position soapbar. And I definitely want it to sound like a P :D. Hopefully it'll be like a Precision+. Maybe like one of those Precision Deluxes I've seen knocking about.
[/quote]

I didn't say squish it next to the bridge pickup or any such vague thing. I said place it in the same place as it would be on a Precision with reference to the scale length. That means taking your measurements from a known common point between the two basses (like the nut, or the 20th fret) on a Precision and then applying that exact same measurement to the LTD when marking where to put the pickup - ignoring how it looks - it will appear to be slightly closer to the end of the fingerboard than on a P because a P only has 20 frets and this one has 21, but it'll be in the same place with regard to the scale length and the speaking length of the strings.

[quote name='ChickenKiev' timestamp='1364393368' post='2025817'] Right, so I've spotted a bass I really want. It's an ltd Phoenix 204. So basically a Thunderbird clone. I was curious about something if I decided to replace the pickups. Does it matter where the pickups go on a bass or can they be put anywhere? From my understanding there are certain hotspots on a guitar or bass in terms of pickup placement, will it sound like arse if I do something like this: [IMG]http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p611/jamesyjamesyjamesy/7AB8DE96-A654-4294-9529-97ED342B7098-500-00000112D182DB1C_zpsb24190c9.jpg[/IMG] Obviously there is string spacing to take into consideration too as I believe the ltd has a much longer scale length than a typical Precision. That's why I placed it more towards the neck in my crappy Paint mock-up as on a Precision the split pickup is more central on the body. I bet you're all wondering why I wouldn't just go and pick up a Fender Precision, right? Well for one, I just don't think they look as sexy (despite their phenomenal sound I want something that has that something special in the looks department), but from what I hear from many people, and my fiddlings with an Epi Bird at my local music shop, Thunderbirds sound muddier than a muddy thing. So this is kinda my theoretical solution. But anyway, any feedback would be cracking. Kiev. [/quote]

There is no right or wrong place to place a pickup. But different positions have different characteristics. A P bass soudns the way it does because of that pickup and where it's placed. Move the pickup 4 cm towards the bridge, and it sounds nothing like a P bass... but it's an awesome sound.
If you want it to sound a bit like a P... measure the position of the P pickup on a Precision, from the bridge... and place it on the same spot.

The string spacing difference is negligible for any practical purpose, don't worry about it, unless it bothers you if visually the polepieces don't align perfectly. It's just an aesthetic issue, 'though

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1364813577' post='2031089']
And if the polepiece to string alignment DOES bother you... P pickups with blades are available..
[/quote]

as long as you don't mind not sounding all that much like a P bass, of course ;)