Why become a member? ×

Converting 8ohm 210 cab to 4ohm + quick impedance question

Ashwood1985

Hi guys,

First Q is a quickie: do two 8ohm cabs and one 4ohm cabs all in parallel total a load of 2ohms? Or would I destroy my wt550? :-P

I plan on running, as my full size rig, two 112xlts and one 210xlt. At the moment they are all 8ohms so the two 10" cones would receive half the power each compared to the 12"s. So I was thinking that if the 210 was 4 ohms, A I'd get more ourput and B (more importanty) an even power distribution to the 4 cones.

So providing the overall load would result in 2ohms......

I read about a guy that replaced the drivers and rewired his eden 210xlt(8) to run at 4ohms with a handling of 700Watts. Firstly, what kind of changes to the sound would I expect from this, secondly how would I go about it? (Driver/wiring/technician suggestions...?)

Thanks people :)

Ash

Random: thanks for the conformation of the impedance!

Bremen: I hear you dude. My main concern is the fact that the 10" cones will recieve half the power of the 12s. So the ohmage is the main thing I would like to change - I wouldn't care if the 210 stayed at its 350Watts as the four together would still be rated at a total of 700 which would be more than ample for me an well configured to my WT550 which pushes out 750watts at 2ohms.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1364417078' post='2026288']
It aint worth it. Buy another 8 Ohm 2x10 instead and run 4 cabs, that will give you more cone volume and hence more noise.
[/quote]

I like your thinking sir! So you reckon the 210s wouldn't be 'under pushed' for a balanced sound with the 112s?

It's the same consideration I have for when running a single 112 with the 210 - that the 12" cone would have twice as much juice as the two 10"s

The power handling of the 210 is going to stay at 350w no matter whether it's wired in series or parallel.

Edit: Actually I can't see how an 8 ohm 210 can be wired for 4 ohms, so the guy who modded his cab has got his maths a bit askew.

Edited by Musky

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1364423508' post='2026426']
The power handling of the 210 is going to stay at 350w no matter whether it's wired in series or parallel.

Edit: Actually I can't see how an 8 ohm 210 can be wired for 4 ohms, so the guy who modded his cab has got his maths a bit askew.
[/quote]

I understand that.

He stated that he replaced the drivers.

I suppose I was under the disillusion that the 10s would be half as loud as the 12s but I believe I'm realising that wouldn't be the case and the difference in real volumes for each cone wouldn't be much with a 210 + 112 both at 8ohms...?

I only picked up my 210 recently an haven't had a chance to crank it with the 112 to test as of yet.

Edited by Ashwood1985

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1364427313' post='2026515']
Buy 2 of these http://basschat.co.uk/topic/198859-bc-speakers-4-x-10-8-ohm-price-drop-madness/page__p__1966013#entry1966013
[/quote]

Ha! Yeah well they'd do the trick in bringing it to 4ohms. Question is if I'd want to. Pete has just given me a great excuse to hunt high and low for a 210xst! lol although that would depend on if I'm convinced that the 8ohm 210(s) would have enough kick when running with the 112s.

Edited by Ashwood1985