Why become a member? ×

Top Guitar Makers Try to Save the Acoustic Guitar

xilddx

[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]A group of the world's top guitar makers have banded together and traveled to the largest temperate coastal rain forest in the world, to slow down logging and save the acoustic guitar. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]The Musicwood Documentary follows the Coalition as they try to change the way this forest is logged. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]It is an epic journey: from guitar workshops to the splendor of the Alaskan rainforest; from a Native tree-cutting ceremony to forest devastation. As the two sides begin to see from each other's perspectives, their task gets more complex.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Now playing in a film festival run, find out more at[/size][/font][/color][url="http://musicwoodthefilm.com/"]http://musicwoodthefilm.com/[/url]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzgN7M6m5Yc

Well, this is a topic very close to my heart as both a musician (allegedly!) and certainly as someone who works in the environmental sector. As an odd coincidence I a met a guy earlier this week from the Clayoquot Sound Biosphere Reserve in Canada - which is southwards down the coast from the Tongass National Forest - and he was explaining a very similar issue with regards to the logging industry and the past exploitation of what are known (in Canada) as 'First Nation' people.

It's a very complex situation as you mention. White settlers essentially got rich by deforesting the local environment (and truly messing up the local people... but that's another topic). And now the same white settlers are preventing native people from earning a living felling trees on environmental grounds… so it's easy to see how conflicts arise with so much hypocrisy and painful history involved.

Interesting to see this presented in the context of the guitar industry. I'm going to seek out the full documentary.

Thanks for sharing mate!

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1364430021' post='2026556']
I think we chopped down most of our forests some centuries before there was a forestry commission.
[/quote]

Quite a few centuries in fact. :)

Henry VIII is often falsely cited as a major contributor to the deforestation of the UK (he wanted a lot of ships very quickly) but the damage had been done long before he arrived.

The most major deforestation actually happened during the Neolithic period when our ancestors invented axes and moved to an agricultural lifestyle.

I read too much :(

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1364427021' post='2026507']
White settlers essentially got rich by deforesting the local environment (and truly messing up the local people... but that's another topic). And now the same white settlers are preventing native people from earning a living felling trees on environmental grounds… so it's easy to see how conflicts arise with so much hypocrisy and painful history involved.
[/quote]

Yep.
I think I saw the same scenario with Eskimos and polar bear hunting recently.

The West has always been very good at taking advantage of other peoples natural resources and then, once the financial rewards are diminished, deciding that everyone else has to abide by an 'environmental policy' that wouldn't have been required if we hadn't raped the resource in the first place.

My personal feeling is that if the West is going to try and dictate their environmental policies on indigenous people, they should, at the very least, compensate them for that loss.
Imagine the furore if there was a policy banning Project Managers tomorrow!

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1364439305' post='2026607']
The West has always been very good at taking advantage of other peoples natural resources and then, once the financial rewards are diminished, deciding that everyone else has to abide by an 'environmental policy' that wouldn't have been required if we hadn't raped the resource in the first place.

My personal feeling is that if the West is going to try and dictate their environmental policies on indigenous people, they should, at the very least, compensate them for that loss.
Imagine the furore if there was a policy banning Project Managers tomorrow!
[/quote]

Very good post