Why become a member? ×

Apple MacBook Pro and Garageband for demos?

The Dark Lord

I usually record demos for potential songs in our covers band using a Zoom MRS-8 - which has all I need for a basic demo.

Have been offered a new MacBook Pro at a decent price - so was wondering, can I do the same with that using Garageband?

Can I record drums, bass, guitar and vocals to a reasonable degree using that?

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1364466515' post='2026800']
I usually record demos for potential songs in our covers band using a Zoom MRS-8 - which has all I need for a basic demo.

Have been offered a new MacBook Pro at a decent price - so was wondering, can I do the same with that using Garageband?

Can I record drums, bass, guitar and vocals to a reasonable degree using that?
[/quote]

Yes no problem - it's how I started doing my first home recording multi-track recordings - the latest version of GB has a ton of great plug ins and it's the quality of your soundcard that will have the biggest effect on the sound quality of your recordings (and mics too) - for tracking and mixing tunes GB does the job just fine - I've heard some amazing GB recordings of late - it's also down to the quality of the performance too :)

Another advantage of using GB is that should you decide to 'upgrade' to Logic - you can open your GB projects in that and remix or tweak them some more - hope that helps

Edited by urb

Yup, what he said. If you're planning to record drums you'll probably need a soundcard with multiple inputs (probably minimum 4, unless you have a [i]great[/i] sounding room!), or you could use your Zoom as a mixer and take a stereo output from that into GB.