Why become a member? ×

Sunn 215b (as 3rd cab): speaker replacement?

fuzzonaut

Hello guys,

There is a Sunn 215b bass cab locally for sale – which is very tempting, of course.
But the original speakers are broken. So, I would have to put new speakers in it – but which ones[b]????[/b]
I’m completely useless if it comes to speakers. I’ve been on some forums and found some suggestions like:
[i]New[/i]: Eminence Delta Pro, Eminence CB158, Eminence Beta 15A, …
[i]Used[/i]: Altec 421, JBL D-140

BUT then again, it was mentioned on the forums that the speaker choice would also be determined by the rest of the equipment I use, so, this is the picture where the cab should fit in:
I use a passive bass, splitting the signal into a “clean/bottom channel” and a “effects/dirt channel”. The clean/bottom channel goes through a Dynacord Eminent II (80 Watts, EL34) into an Acoustic 301 cab (1x18"). The effects/dirt channel goes through a MusicMan HD 130 (130 Watts, EL34) into an Ampeg Isovent cab (2x10” & 2x15”).
The MusicMan could take another 4 Ohm cab – so that’s where I would put the Sunn 215b.

And finally, the budget: Could I get by with, say, around £150 for the pair?

THANKS A MILLION for any input, advice, model recommendation.

Fuzzonaut

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1364556865' post='2028090']
Doom.

Truckstop
[/quote]

Oh yeah!

Well, the rig already sounds great, no question, but as there is another "4 Ohm cab spot" available on the MM why not use it?
I'm also open for cab suggestion other than the Sunn 215.

[quote name='fuzzonaut' timestamp='1364556685' post='2028087']
Hello guys,

There is a Sunn 215b bass cab locally for sale – which is very tempting, of course.
But the original speakers are broken. So, I would have to put new speakers in it – but which ones[b]????[/b]
I’m completely useless if it comes to speakers. I’ve been on some forums and found some suggestions like:
[i]New[/i]: Eminence Delta Pro, Eminence CB158, Eminence Beta 15A, …
[i]Used[/i]: Altec 421, JBL D-140

BUT then again, it was mentioned on the forums that the speaker choice would also be determined by the rest of the equipment I use, so, this is the picture where the cab should fit in:
I use a passive bass, splitting the signal into a “clean/bottom channel” and a “effects/dirt channel”. The clean/bottom channel goes through a Dynacord Eminent II (80 Watts, EL34) into an Acoustic 301 cab (1x18"). The effects/dirt channel goes through a MusicMan HD 130 (130 Watts, EL34) into an Ampeg Isovent cab (2x10” & 2x15”).
The MusicMan could take another 4 Ohm cab – so that’s where I would put the Sunn 215b.

And finally, the budget: Could I get by with, say, around £150 for the pair?

THANKS A MILLION for any input, advice, model recommendation.

Fuzzonaut
[/quote]

Presumably yours is that horn-loaded beast that's on youtube etc.
Your first port of call could be Eminence themselves. Check the customer support and or user forum. Why not also contact them with and e-mail to -
[email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]
He can give you good advice on which 15" 8ohm speaker is suitable for a horn-loaded cabinet of that size.

Balcro.

[quote name='Balcro' timestamp='1364563551' post='2028216']
Presumably yours is that horn-loaded beast that's on youtube etc.
Your first port of call could be Eminence themselves. Check the customer support and or user forum. Why not also contact them with and e-mail to -
[email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]
He can give you good advice on which 15" 8ohm speaker is suitable for a horn-loaded cabinet of that size.

Balcro.
[/quote]
Thanks for that mail. Eminence seems to be the one to go for.

If you are using that many rigs at once with overlapping frequency bands, it suddenly doesn't matter nearly as much what speakers you put in the cab.There won't be the definition to notice any issues and such. A modern replaceable driver is best bet. The JBL is nice, but sort of precious and their niceness is best used in a situation where it can be appreciated.

[quote name='Balcro' timestamp='1364563551' post='2028216']
[/quote]

Its not a horn loaded cab mind, its a flared port. whole different set of requirements to a horn cab, like the Acoustic.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1364570167' post='2028330']
Its not a horn loaded cab mind, its a flared port. whole different set of requirements to a horn cab, like the Acoustic.
[/quote]

Yea, I realised it was complicated, hence the referral to Eminence. OP pm'd.

Balcro.

Thanks for all quick the replies. This is a great place.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1364567765' post='2028278'] If you are using that many rigs at once with overlapping frequency bands, it suddenly doesn't matter nearly as much what speakers you put in the cab.There won't be the definition to notice any issues and such. A modern replaceable driver is best bet. The JBL is nice, but sort of precious and their niceness is best used in a situation where it can be appreciated. [/quote]

Yes, true, never thought too much about freuqencies.
I admit, somehow it's like wasting a great cab in a "too much"-setup - but "too much" is part of the fun I'm after.

[quote name='Balcro' timestamp='1364575112' post='2028410'] Yea, I realised it was complicated, hence the referral to Eminence. OP pm'd. Balcro. [/quote]

Cheers, replied.

[quote name='bumnote' timestamp='1364569799' post='2028319']
[size=6][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][sub]Look up wembley loudspeakers who could recone/repair the existing ones and then they should be right for the box.[/sub][/font][/size]
[/quote]

Have been thinking about this as well - now I know where to look. Thanks.

[quote name='hunt the shunt' timestamp='1364633631' post='2028990']
I have never understood the desire to have a pile of mismatched cabs on stage. It might be fun but it might sound sh*te. A venue with a stage big enough for all those cabs will probably need pa support anyway.
[/quote]

Sounds sh*te in the sense it totally covers how someone's guitar playing sounds with a wall of noise, which is generally the aim. Otherwise Marshall amps wouldn't be so popular.