Why become a member? ×

(Sort of) custom earphones

Roland Rock

1: I've had these Etymotic ER4 in ear headphones for 7 odd years. Great sound, something I'd been taking for granted until I used some others. Lovely natural bass, as long as you get a good seal. Noise isolating too.

2: Got some ACS Custom earplugs recently. I decided on this after a particularly loud ska gig, with a hearing impaired soundguy, left my ears ringing. Tested at a Squarepusher gig last night, they're good. They definitely lose some top end definition, but still work well, and good for super loud gigs.

3: I remembered that Etymotic and ACS are the same company (?) so hatched a plan :-)
Lo and behold, the diameter of the ACS Filters is the exact same as the ER drivers. The drivers insert into the earplugs with satisfying balance of resistance and ease. A great fit!

4: Maybe it's because the seal is better, or that the channel is now leading further into the ear to the exact right place, but WOW! What a sound. Fullness and clarity. I'm a happy chappy.