Why become a member? ×

Short scale basses

Guest MoJo

In an effort to relieve the strain on my aching back, I am considering going short scale (assuming they're lighter). I can just about cope with my 8.5lb P-bass but would like something a tad lighter if possible. I'm looking in particular at the Squier Vintage Modified SS Jaguar.
Has anyone else made the switch to Short scale. Your thoughts please

Instead of changing scale (which won't necessarily decrease weight, the body won't be that much smaller and you're only losing a couple of inches of neck wood - it's still got the same hardware on it), have you tried looking at different materials? For example, I can't imagine a Cort Curbow is a particularly heavy beast with that tiny luthite body. Or try going headless?

I was quite surprised to find that there was only 1.5lbs difference between my lightest P bass and my Ibanez RB950 yet I can gig the one for two hours without a problem the other leaves me with severe back and shoulder pain the following day. If I could shave off another 8 to 16 ounces I think I'd notice quite a difference

Basswood is quite a light wood, so perhaps a bass made from that? The Precision Lyte does what it suggests - basswood downsized body, smaller headstock and sell for decent prices. Nice basses as well.

I'm not sure how much the Nanyo Bass Collections weigh, but they're another small bass that provided the inspiration for the Lyte (well, strictly speaking it was the Bass Maniac, but it was the Bass Collection that everyone was buying).

Edit: And there's the answer!

Edited by Musky

Yeah I wouldn't say that my Mustang weighsess than any other particularly light bass I've owned before.

If you're dead set on staying in the Fender family, then I would re-think because this is your health we're talking about! If one day I simply had to use a Steinberger in order to save my back/shoulders/whatever, I would. Without hesitation!

As suggested, the Nanyo Bass Collections are as light as a feather and balanced really well so you don't need to reach too far to get to the lest fret. Yamaha RBXs and Ibanez GIOs tend to be quite light also; swap out the electrics and you've got a great bass at your disposal.

Also, have you tried wearing your bass higher? It'll help with your posture and decrease the stress on your left shoulder/wrist.

Truckstop

Edited by Truckstop

+1 for the Precision Lyte route. I made the swap to these (after having sold one years ago, duh!) and it's made all the difference to my gigging enjoyment. Currently a very tidy one on ebay in Shrewsbury for £349 BIN too. Good luck!

I have 2 short scale basses - Fender Musicman, 8lbs and Epi EB0 at 7lbs. The lightest full size (ish) basses I have had are the Fender Precision Lyte (edit, which also has one of the very nicest necks I have played - really skinny and shallow) and SGC Nanyo Bass Collection, both were 7.5lbs. So, as has been said, you don't need to go short scale to go lightweight. Plenty of other reasons to go shortscale though - lightweight is just one of the nice bonuses. You need to try them!

Edited by Paul S

Hi MoJo

I have recently done exactly what you're considering and I can completely empathise with your thinking after health issues have left me struggling with large/heavy basses, resulting in backache etc.
Like Paul S above, I now have two short scale basses, and love them both; a Gibson SG and a new Fender "Pawn Shop" Mustang; both seem to have solved the problem and as posted above, I also found wearing the bass higher improved posture and reduced stress on the body!! :D
The Mustang is now my preferred bass, balances better and seems to have a sweeter tone but both are excellent instruments; I also now much prefer the short scale option anyway; I'm happy I was forced (so to speak) into the change!!
Lightest bass I ever played way way back, was the iconic [u]Hofner Violin (beatle) bass[/u], probably worth a look too.
There are many "short scale" players on this forum, try one, you'll see why!!

Good Luck.......Brian
PS. Just as a side issue ([b]NOT[/b] the reason for the post), I am considering selling the SG; if you might be interested PM me.

Edited by onemanband

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1364812155' post='2031060']
I'm looking in particular at the Squier Vintage Modified SS Jaguar.
Has anyone else made the switch to Short scale. Your thoughts please
[/quote]

I would be interested in your review if you go down the Squier Jag route as I'm considering one. In answer to you question I find my Mustang much lighter than my Stingray, but I don't know the actual difference in weight as I've never weighed them.

Les

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1364833230' post='2031443']
... and long scale too.
[/quote]

This thread began by asking if going short scale would solve the weight problem. It is not certain that it would, it depends entirely on the bass. The principal problem the OP is suffering is weight of bass, not length of scale. People seem to have leapt onto the short scale part of this, somewhat unnecessarily. Of course, many semi-hollow and hollow basses are short scale (Gibson EB-2, Epiphone Rivoli, Guild/DeArmond Starfire, Hofner Club etc), so we may not be at such cross purposes after all. But my suggestion is both expedient (as in readily available) and correct (I can vouch for it being light) - thus neatly solving the OP's problem.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1364834276' post='2031454']
This thread began by asking if going short scale would solve the weight problem. It is not certain that it would, it depends entirely on the bass. The principal problem the OP is suffering is weight of bass, not length of scale. People seem to have leapt onto the short scale part of this, somewhat unnecessarily. Of course, many semi-hollow and hollow basses are short scale (Gibson EB-2, Epiphone Rivoli, Guild/DeArmond Starfire, Hofner Club etc), so we may not be at such cross purposes after all. But my suggestion is both expedient (as in readily available) and correct (I can vouch for it being light) - thus neatly solving the OP's problem.
[/quote]

True!
For my part however, I can only say that changing to a short scale eased my back issues; it isn't JUST the weight, the short scale does seem to contribute to a better posture too, a very important factor in back issues.
If however the OP wants to stick to long scale, I agree, a hollow body is the way to go. Gibson do a nice new model, The Midtown; don't know the weight of it though!

[url="http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Bass/Gibson-USA/Midtown-Standard-Bass.aspx"]http://www2.gibson.c...ndard-Bass.aspx[/url]

Edited by onemanband

Spent the last few years trying a vast assortment of Medium and short scales i.e.; Gibson Eb0, Eb2, Hofner verithin, Hagstrom Viking, DeArmond Starfire, Epiphone Rivoli, Landing L1, Ampeg Dan Armstrong, Fender Mustang, Fender Musicmaster, Yamaha Motion 32", Precision 32" plus a few others!
My main go to and gigging bass these days is a red Squier Jaguar SS Modified ( Fender Original P-Bass pup and DiMarzio model J bridge pup, also Gotoh 203 bridge and Hipshot Ultralite tuners with a Drop D )

Had to do a bit of tidying on the fret ends, but it really is an amazing bass sound wise and to play and cheap, very light and comfortable too! - An accurate 3.25 kg including fitted mono strap!

I have a second one now in Black that is same spec plus its fitted with my Roland GK-3B pickup to use with my Rolang GR-55 --

You are welcome to try it for size if you are ever in the area!

Will.

Edited by 2x18

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1364834276' post='2031454']
[/quote]
Yes, I was meaning to agree with you and not to point out a problem.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1364845315' post='2031683']
Yes, I was meaning to agree with you and not to point out a problem.
[/quote]

In that case, I apologise for taking your post the wrong way and being stroppy.

My squier jag VM SS weighs not much more than my Danelectro longhorn & is a lot lighter than my CIJ mustang. I originally had an even lighter SS jag, but it went straight back to Thomann as it appeared to be a Friday afternoon one with more than one QC problem. On my bigger/heavier basses I find a neoprene strap like the comfort strap or the Fender one helps make it seem lighter.

[quote name='Junkyard Rocket' timestamp='1364856377' post='2031964']
My squier jag VM SS weighs not much more than my Danelectro longhorn & is a lot lighter than my CIJ mustang. I originally had an even lighter SS jag, but it went straight back to Thomann as it appeared to be a Friday afternoon one with more than one QC problem. On my bigger/heavier basses I find a neoprene strap like the comfort strap or the Fender one helps make it seem lighter.
[/quote]
Whoo.......!!! Another Danelectro Longhorn fan!! Was going to mention these, but think people getting fed up of me always banging on about how great they are!! Light as a feather, great to play with 30.5 inch scale and sound huge. Built out of firewood, but who cares?

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1364892250' post='2032158']
Whoo.......!!! Another Danelectro Longhorn fan!! Was going to mention these, but think people getting fed up of me always banging on about how great they are!! Light as a feather, great to play with 30.5 inch scale and sound huge. Built out of firewood, but who cares?
[/quote]

Also doubles as a cricket bat I believe!! :D

ONLY JOKING!!

[quote name='onemanband' timestamp='1364893796' post='2032183']
Also doubles as a cricket bat I believe!! :D

ONLY JOKING!!
[/quote]

Having owned a Danelectro (Hodad) I reckon that a cricket ball would probably punch a hole straight through ;)

Someone on Talkbass claims their Squier Jaguar SS to be 6.5lbs. Even if it proves to be 7lbs, that's 1.5lbs lighter than my P bass and 3lbs lighter than my Ibanez RB950. Quite a saving