Why become a member? ×

First Bass Guitar - Rebel 4K?

lefty81

Dear all

Hello! - first post here.

I'm a (non-bass) guitar player looking to get his first bass guitar, budget £100+/-£20, left handed. Not bothered s/h or not.

Sound wise, it looking for a degree of versatility, but mainly I think vintage, warm sound rather than anything too in-your-face. Bass stuff I like: 60s/70s singer-songwriter stuff (session guys I assume), that Motown guy:), the bassist from the beatles, disco stuff.

Having had a look online, I am thinking about getting a Tanglewood Rebel 4K. I've also seen a Ibanez GSR200 in a local store, but having tried it, it seems in less than great condition, and not too keen on the idea of an active, although I have heard good things about them.

What are peoples thoughts on these two? Any other obvious choices?

Cheers

Welcome to the forum!

For that sort of money I think I'd be looking at a Westone Thunder. They came in active and passive variants, of which the active are more common. Don't let that put you off though - they're great basses. Ibanez, Yamaha and Peavey basses also get a lot of love around here.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1365319947' post='2037885']
Welcome to the forum!

For that sort of money I think I'd be looking at a Westone Thunder. They came in active and passive variants, of which the active are more common. Don't let that put you off though - they're great basses. Ibanez, Yamaha and Peavey basses also get a lot of love around here.
[/quote]

Thanks Musky. I've had a look and couldn't see any Westone's available at the moment, or rather no lefty ones:(

Would I be right in assuming you're not a fan / have not heard good things about the Rebel 4K? Any particular Yamaha models worth looking out for?

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1365328302' post='2037991'] Secondhand Vintage basses appear about this price and seem to be well regarded. What are you doing about amplification though? [/quote]

Cheers Dorset. A search for Vintage bass brings up a fair few results i.e. 'vintage 1970's Fender'... - Couldn't see any Vintage lefties at the moment.

What are your thoughts on the cheaper Yamaha's (BB, RBX)?

Amplification wise, I have a Marshall 40W valve amp (12" speaker) - are guitar amps a no-go for bass, or less than optimal? Planning on using bass for songwriting, recording, and home practice, rather than gigging, so plan on using it DI'd or unplugged mostly.

I know nothing about Yamaha alas. Love my Squier but they are quite well regarded, so have not fallen to your price point yet. When I said Vintage, I meant the manufacturer Vintage. Do a search for Vintage LV4 (precision copy) and LV96 (MM Copy). You can get an LV4 for £180-190 new. Ibanez is always a good option though too.

I did have to buy my Squier new when I started though, sometimes it is quite tough finding the lefties.