Why become a member? ×

Line 6 M5 - convince me!!!

GazWills

hey folks. So I have an M5-sized space on my pedal board, and am interested in finding out a bit more about these things!
I have an all-analog board at the moment with octaver, o/d, fuzz, chorus and delay pedals, and have heard that the dirts on the M5 are pretty lame, but that the reverbs and delays are good. I would mostly be using this for reverb, delay and pitch shifting (if it's good at that?) - so any opinions are welcome!

Also, for those that incorporate an M5 into a pedal board with other pedals, where do you put this in the chain, as surely depending on what effect you have selected on the M5 the position in your chain to get the best out of it relative to your other effects would need to change???

Finally, can you daisy chain it on a diago PSU, or does it need a lot of power??

thanks all

Hey, I've had an M9 and then an M5 for a few years and they're the best around IMO, beating the B3. Reverbs, delays, and modulations are brilliant and so is pitch shifting.

Unlike what Ant said, you should NOT daisy chain this pedal unless you have an isolated output with at least 400mA. Daisy chaining adds digital noise to the signal, it's not nice at all and it's a known problem, there's even a Pedal Power Digital video using the M5 as an example. So you'll likely be using an additional power supply for it and that's one of the main annoyances that made me stop using these units.

For reverb and delay you should have the M5 at the end of your signal chain, for pitch you should have it early, it needs a clean signal to track. A compressor before will help too. Shifting pitch up will always sound weird so having some distortion after it hides the weirdness a bit.

Edited by 1976fenderhead

Maybe it works for some reason with those, but high draw DSP pedals feed noise back into the cable so you shouldn't use the same PSA to power that and other transistor-based pedals. I definitely got the noise with a Godlyke Powerall, and also using the M5's PSA instead (there's enough current for it).

I get noise when using it with my Jazzmaster but nothing with humbuckers (I used it on guitar, not bass....) on a Diago. Depends how many pedals you have really, I have mine 2nd to last before a delay and after 2 dirt pedals but I was considering some kind of home-made box to move it between 2 points in the chain. Never got round to it but I'm sure you could knock something up reasonably easily. Mods, reverbs and delays are mostly great, filters and dirt have some good stuff but nothing fantastic. Worth a punt, especially as the price was sub £100 recently from fxpedal.co.uk.