Why become a member? ×

Taking the signal from your amp into Garageband

Gunsfreddy2003

I am doing a bit more recording at home and wonder how most of you are getting a signal from your amp into Garageband?

I use the Jam by Apogee as my interface but would be keen to get a better sound by taking a feed from the amp or even micing up if that works better?

Any advice on this gratefully received!

I have a mono 1/4 jack wired to one side of a stereo 3.5mm jack. The 1/4 jack plugs into the FX send & the 3.5 is plugged into the line in on my iMac.
I then just choose "mono channel 1" on the input choice in GB & make sure that I get a good signal that doesn't clip by adjusting the amp's input gain & GB's input level to suit.
The master volume on the amp has no effect on the fx send, so I can turn that to wherever I want.
It also has a better sound quality than the Alesis interface that I used to use. :)

I always DI from my amp direct to my A/D convertor. I set the amps gain just below clipping, turn off the inbuilt compressor, set the EQ flat and turn off any pre-shape filters, make sure the A/D convertor input signal is not clipping and go for a test take. I then listen back and make sure the recording level is not clipping. Once I am happy that I have the optimum gain levels on the amp, A/D convertor and software I go for it. Very simple. No matter if I am using Logic or GarageBand I always use this method.

Mic'ing is ok if you have a good quality mic and understanding neighbours, but you might find the speaker a bit too hissy. Bass cabs can be swines for that. I choose the cleaner route...partly because I prefer it, but mostly because I live in a flat! My neighbours get upset when I record an electronic drum kit for goodness sake! But, if you can mic up your amp try running both a DI track and a mic'd track simultaneously. It's nice to have the option of choosing which track sounds better and is easier to work with at the mix down.

The amp sims in GarageBand and Logic are ok for quick and basic results, I will always choose to record via a good quality amp over the sims. I have tried my best to make them work for me for occasions when I am in a rush and not faff around with a real amp, but I have never got on with them. Even for demos and songwriting sketching I am quite fussy about my bass tone, so I do put in a bit more effort than I should even for basic stuff. It's a curse at times!

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1365579101' post='2041197']
Shizznit - what cable do you use from your amp to A/D converter? Jack to XLR?
[/quote]

I use a high quality XLR to XLR going into my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. Its better practice to record with a balanced DI signal from your amp as you get less interference through the cable and the lower impedance gives you a better signal to your A/D convertor. I also use an AudioFire 2 portable A/D convertor when I am out and about with my Mac Book Pro. Its about the size of a cigarette packet...its awesome! Being that small, it only has two stereo line in channels that use jack inputs and no XLR input. XLR to jack works just as well with a high quality lead.

You can use your effects send or line out channel using a jack to jack cable from your amp, but you might find yourself cranking the channel input gain on your A/D convertor to boost the signal which may become noisy by the time you get to your recording app. You can still get a result, but life is so much easier using a DI signal.