Why become a member? ×

Seymour Duncan Sjb3 neck pickup problem

jayk

Hello
I've just installed a Seymour duncan basslines sjb3 neck pickup in my mexican jazz along with my stock Fender pickup in the bridge still.
I'm now getting a lot of buzz now from my bass and when i have both pup volumes 100% the bass becomes very quiet and thin, I believe the problem is because of the 2 different types of pups the have now become out of phase?
Is there a way to fix this or am i going to have to buy the matching SD bridge pup to go along?

[url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/bass/pickups-for-jaz/4string/sjb3_quarterpou/"]http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/bass/pickups-for-jaz/4string/sjb3_quarterpou/[/url]
This is the info Seymour Duncan provides for the pickup.

Try swapping the wires around. I had the same problem recently which was solved by doing this as I had wired them up out of phase initially. Remember to check the earth wire is connected correctly too.
Also remember to use the pickups' screws to balance their output to your preference by adjusting the distance from the pickups to the strings, which makes a big difference. For example, If you want a bassier balance adjust the neck pickup to be nearer the strings than the bridge one. Or if you want a tighter sound set the bridge pickup nearer the strings.

Edited by gjones

Sounds like one pickup is out of phase. Swap the wires around of the pickup you just installed. If that doesn't work, then you need to see if the poles of the magnets are also opposite by taking out one pickup and see if the tops of the pickups will click together. If they repel, then the pickups can't be wired like a traditional Jazz bass and you will have to get the matching bridge pickup as well.