Why become a member? ×

Beginner Jazz Tracks?

Basschatfield

[quote name='grahamd' timestamp='1366966430' post='2059488']
+1 for the Ken Burns series. Really great chronological doc, with insights from the protagonists and the likes of Wynton Marsalis, in a fascinating sociological context too. They repeat it on PBS all the time.
[/quote]

Yes, I watched it first about 12 years ago. The local library had it on VHS tapes you could borrow. I catch it accidentally now and then when I'm channel surfing and it doesn't get old.

The series had some criticism on the jazz forums/newsgroups at the time as it didn't tackle contemporary jazz in any depth, but it's really intended as a historical documentary. It takes a few decades to truly understand the historical significance of an event, and the series really focuses on the period encompassing the birth of jazz to the 1960s.

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1366978962' post='2059765']
It is slightly disturbing that everyone is assuming walking when you say Jazz., Its not necessary for all jazz
[/quote]

No, but it plays a central role in many styles of jazz. If you can't walk the standards, you're not really a jazz bassist.

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1366978962' post='2059765']
It is slightly disturbing that everyone is assuming walking when you say Jazz., Its not necessary for all jazz
[/quote]

This is a fair point. As was mentioned earlier, the word "Jazz" is just an "umbrella" name for a fairly large selection of music. Generally, I find that unless it is stipulated what type is being discussed, people usually assume (rightly or wrongly) the walking type.

Also, when someone is said to be delving into jazz for the first time, either to listen to or play, it is the walking type (again rightly or wrongly) that is generally recommended.

To the uninitiated, jazz can be hard to listen to. As the walking standards are the most accessible, this could be the reason why they are the first port of call.