Why become a member? ×

Thinking of getting a cheap mixer .. Do I really need one ?

Not the food variety ;) . I use garageband on my Mac mini / line 6 toneport ux1 (podfarm) and an ipad. I have recorded a few bits this way on soundcloud( mellowcat;)
Reason I was thinking of using a mixer, is that it would be less fiddlly than what I am doing at the moment. For example, would I be able to use 2 things at once ( ipad and bass) going from mixer into garageband? Or should I not bother with a mixer at all?
Please advise.
Cheers

What I'm doing at the moment ; drum app from ipad- into irig - toneport - garageband.
Then, remove ipad . plug bass - into toneport - then garageband. Then, believe it or not , I plug ipad back into toneport and, using headphone out socket from toneport
record onto the ipad version of soundcloud .
Hope that's not too confusing;)

Doesn't the UX1 have two inputs?
Get a DI box for your bass. Maplin do a cheap one and plug your bass into the XLR.

Will save you unplugging and plugging in all the time. You can then record while playing along to the drums and mix later. Or whatever...

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1367149735' post='2061698']
Doesn't the UX1 have two inputs?
Get a DI box for your bass. Maplin do a cheap one and plug your bass into the XLR.

Will save you unplugging and plugging in all the time. You can then record while playing along to the drums and mix later. Or whatever...
[/quote]
Now that sounds like a good idea . The ux1 has 1 guitar input and 1 xlr
input. I did try the line selections for the iPad., but that didn't work .
Cheers

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1367235868' post='2062866']
I have one of these at home. It means i can leave things set up and i have one feed going in to my PC and one in to my iPad, via a JAM interface.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UB502.aspx
[/quote]

I was thinking of this. Another basschatter has/ had one for sale. Could you elaborate on the jam interface ?

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1367261821' post='2063396']

I was thinking of this. Another basschatter has/ had one for sale. Could you elaborate on the jam interface ?
[/quote]

Apogee Jam is the interface I use with my IPad. It's not cheap though, about £60, but its much better than something like the iRig.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/jam.php

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1367262238' post='2063404']

Apogee Jam is the interface I use with my IPad. It's not cheap though, about £60, but its much better than something like the iRig.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/jam.php
[/quote]

Aaah ! Yes , I know now. And I got the irig (