Why become a member? ×

AKAI Deep Impact SB1

Yatim Halimi

They are rare... supply and demand!
Also one of, if not THE best synth bass pedal out there - so I've been led to believe.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/206559-akai-sb1deep-impact-boxed-l700/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/206559-akai-sb1deep-impact-boxed-l700/[/url]

In any case they are worth whatever buyers will pay for them. :)

Edited by discreet

Best synth pedal ever without a doubt - love mine but not sure I would have paid £700 for one!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1367349910' post='2064597']
They are rare... supply and demand!
Also one of, if not THE best synth bass pedal out there - so I've been led to believe.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/206559-akai-sb1deep-impact-boxed-l700/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/206559-akai-sb1deep-impact-boxed-l700/[/url]

In any case they are worth whatever buyers will pay for them. :)
[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1367357242' post='2064753']
Best synth pedal ever without a doubt - love mine but not sure I would have paid £700 for one!
[/quote]

At that price, there's a ton of doubt. It's not even close to what you can achieve with Roland V-Bass , which is currently changing hands for a lot less than 700 quid. Bonkers.

Yes, it's a pretty unique tone and i enjoyed mine, but for that kind of money you can buy a top of the range analog fuzz, octave and filter pedal and have something far more usable and far more versatile. I just don't get it.

Some vintage pedals are very highly demanded and the Deep Impact is one of the most desirable. Like everything else that's for sale these things will find their own value. If an item is scarce and someone wants the 'real thing' then there isn't a substitute.

I really wanted an original Mutron and paid good money for one. To my ears it produces a sound no other filter type pedal can. However, the big pleasure for me is that I love the fact it's old, albeit only in the world of pedals, it looks really cool and it makes me smile every time I use it.

To me that's worth every penny and I think, for some players, the Deep Impact fits into exactly the same bracket - lots of things can do synth sounds but none of them actually is an Akai. They aren't made any more = the price starts to rise.

They are fetching big money even over in the States. Saw one on US EBay got for $850 not long ago.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1367654126' post='2067915']
And how old / used is this 700 quid stomp box? I couldn't believe that price and was even more surprised when it sold.

There must be some dudes who really, really like Muse. Even my most expensive bass guitar wasn't 700 quid.
[/quote]

I'm not sure age and usage are the key factors here. It's a scarce and desirable commodity so its price has risen.

Too expensive for me but I'd love one - and I absolutely detest Muse :)

I sold mine for £80 before anyone took interest in them. The guy I sold it to all those years ago still has it too so I was able to play around with it again recently. I'm happy to say I don't regret selling it one bit (except for the bit about making lots more money off it now!). I know lots of people think it's amazing... but I'm not one of those people. I find about 2 or 3 usable tone in that unit and I can get those tones using separate stomp boxes for less money and with more flexibility.

It's all personal preference I know, but for that money - christ, buy a Moog!

I came about this the other way around bought the fuzz, filter and octave but I could not get anywhere near the sounds that you get from the Deep Impact!!

£700 is over the top but as Molan says there is kudos and mystique about these pedals and short supply so of course the price is going to only go up - surely not much more though!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1367665314' post='2068097']
Yes, it's a pretty unique tone and i enjoyed mine, but for that kind of money you can buy a top of the range analog fuzz, octave and filter pedal and have something far more usable and far more versatile. I just don't get it.
[/quote]

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1367703546' post='2068664']
I'm sorry, but it is a £80 synth pedal, not a £700 pedal ! You can buy a synthesiser for that!
[/quote]

But can you put a synth on your pedal board and just kick in that one killer sound at your next gig? :)