Why become a member? ×

Audio Master for CD Pressing

Fuzzbass2000

Hi - one for the sound technicians out there.

My band are re-pressing a CD from a few years back. The company we're using are having trouble extracting an image from the DDP master and are suggesting that they use one of the CDs we originally pressed up last time round as the master. Is this a good thing to do or should I find a CD company that can work from the DDP we have?

Edited by Fuzzbass2000

The DDP is the real unadulterated truth of what you recorded/mixed/mastered, its the data and nothing else that makes up your songs in the right order, with the exact right gaps between them etc etc.

If they derive their effort from the CD, then it will be from a CD audio read (not a CD data read), and that means it has far more 'tolerant/lenient' data comparison, basically an audio cd can accept wrong data in lieu of a perfect read of the disc. This is to help maintian the myth that cds are bullet proof for as long as possible....

If at all possible work from the DDP. A really really great burn to a mint fresh CD blank (from a quality company) will do - chances are you'll never hear the difference. But it is not guaranteed to provide [i]exactly[/i] the same output as you put on to the CD, but bear in mind a reference CD was pretty much the defacto way of doing this for years and years and years....

Thank you. That's really helpful and confirms what was at the back of my mind.

Is there a way to check if the problem is with the DDP that I've been supplied with (it's an SRT job from a number of years ago) or the software the new company are using?

Is there a way to convert the DDP I've got into something they can use?

Edited by Fuzzbass2000