Why become a member? ×

Bruno Mars

bubinga5

I was never really a fan but this new album is producing some brilliant songs and some great bass lines. Jamareo Artis his bass player is phenomenal, great groove and I wish I looked as 1/10th as cool as him when I play bass. His whole band are amazing though and its nice to see he takes a live band on TV appearances and they are just on fire all the time.

I found this live video of him doing Treasure, I think I have listened to it 10 times now, the tone out of Jamareo's Precision is awesome.

[url="http://youtu.be/uNKZxjg_IzE"]http://youtu.be/uNKZxjg_IzE[/url]

Just seen this thread, coincidentally we added Locked Out Of Heaven to the setlist over the weekend, great song, goes down a treat with the punters, and a blast to play. We also added a Courteeners song (Not 19 Forever) that was by comparison a dirge.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1367936421' post='2071197']
Locked Out Of Heaven is a fantastic tune. Everything else I've heard by him has been utter tosh, sadly.
[/quote]

Ah poo, I just bought the CD, spose I`ll just have to keep playing the same track then.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1367945205' post='2071398']
Ah poo, I just bought the CD, spose I`ll just have to keep playing the same track then.
[/quote]

well I love the album. Gorilla is a killing song!

Bruno Mars was part of a writing team that has been in the top grossing songwriters charts for quite a few years now

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1367945418' post='2071404']
Don't forget that Mr Mars also penned 'Forget You' by Cee-Lo Green which also has a killer bass line! The man know how to write a hit, that's for sure.
[/quote]

Not strictly him, it was The Smeezingtons, which is Bruno, his backing vocalist Phil, and Ari Levine, who were responsible for i think 3 US number ones and 4 UK number ones, with 5 grammy nominations, in their first 2 or 3 years. I've been listening to his stuff since he did Billionairre with Travie McCoy, and loved his work ever since. Definately one of the most talented people in the pop industry at the moment.

Liam

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1367945205' post='2071398']
[/quote]
[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1367945418' post='2071404']
Don't forget that Mr Mars also penned 'Forget You' by Cee-Lo Green which also has a killer bass line! The man know how to write a hit, that's for sure.
[/quote]

Didn't know that was him. Thats also a great song.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1367672761' post='2068225']Sooooooo Police sounding, I love it.[/quote]

Have ya heard this? Pure quality.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcvjwUKA4pc[/media]

Edited by acidbass

I like him for the most part, I think he writes a good song, although I'd wholeheartedly agree that his lyrics are sh*te - but then they've got to be, it's top 40 material so who can blame him.

I don't like the fact that he's getting marketed as this new Prince/Michael Jackson-type figure though, because that he ain't.

For all you Locked Out Of Heaven fans, don't forget to check out the cover by the great & lovely Marta Altesa on YouTube.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox74xe6l2Yg[/media]

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1367962998' post='2071791']
For all you Locked Out Of Heaven fans, don't forget to check out the cover by the great & lovely Marta Altesa on YouTube.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox74xe6l2Yg[/media]
[/quote]

Apart from the obvious, she has some damn good groove. Born to be a bassist.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1367672761' post='2068225']

Definitely. I wonder of the album that song is on all sounds like that? Sooooooo Police sounding, I love it. This live version is excellent:

[/quote]
There is a video of him playing with sting. I'll have a look for it. Apologies if it's already been posted, can't see videos on my phone

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1367978281' post='2071908']

He comes way off the scale of MJ, it's not even comparable.
[/quote]

Not even that close to Prince to be fair but what he is doing is bringing performance and entertainment back to live shows- choreographed band routines etc which is a nod to Prince and his side projects and through Prince, James Brown.

I like the fact that he had built a band around him, and he is out there playing live, he is not the worst by a long way.

Not impressed with Marta on that vid (and I am a fan ) its one of the easiest things I have seen her play and that is the worst I have seen and heard her play, to me it was just "flat" maybe the Ray5 not a good choice or her sound not a good choice, it lacked imho.

Edited by Lynottfan

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1368016236' post='2072043']
Not even that close to Prince to be fair but what he is doing is bringing performance and entertainment back to live shows- choreographed band routines etc which is a nod to Prince and his side projects and through Prince, James Brown.
[/quote]

Agreed on that one, that's really what I like about him as well. For us musicians it's at least a bit interesting to see him playing with a great band. I think people might be getting ahead of themselves with comparing him to Jackson though, that guy was an institution in almost all respects. Quincy Jones too.

[quote name='Lynottfan' timestamp='1368028620' post='2072255']
I like the fact that he had built a band around him, and he is out there playing live, he is not the worst by a long way.

Not impressed with Marta on that vid (and I am a fan ) its one of the easiest things I have seen her play and that is the worst I have seen and heard her play, to me it was just "flat" maybe the Ray5 not a good choice or her sound not a good choice, it lacked imho.
[/quote]

The other videos are better for sure. She really grooves in them and has great technique for the amount of time she has been playing.

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1367932246' post='2071140']
I was never really a fan but this new album is producing some brilliant songs and some great bass lines. Jamareo Artis his bass player is phenomenal, great groove and I wish I looked as 1/10th as cool as him when I play bass. His whole band are amazing though and its nice to see he takes a live band on TV appearances and they are just on fire all the time.

I found this live video of him doing Treasure, I think I have listened to it 10 times now, the tone out of Jamareo's Precision is awesome.

[url="http://youtu.be/uNKZxjg_IzE"]http://youtu.be/uNKZxjg_IzE[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing this. Mr Mars had passed me by. I must go and raid my daughters ipod and listen to some more. Great band on this too.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1367962081' post='2071778']
I doubt the music industry would allow it, purely because there are so many other acts trying to get coverage.
[/quote]i think times have changed musically, for people who are learning/listening to music, or being a performer.. back when Micheal Jackson was a youngster, im sure it was very hard to make music, learn music, listen to new music.. and if you did, it it mostly live.. im a big believer that being a talent in the mainstream back then, was way harder than it is now..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1368016236' post='2072043']
[/quote] hes a nod towards Micheal jackson in a distant pop way, but i think time will tell.. Bruno may come out with some music that will blow us all away, just like Thriller did.. but im pretty sure he will never be as epic as this guy.. Prince spoke through his body and his instrument.. there was a big gap between MJ and Prince imo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjpiBm2Q-gc

Edited by bubinga5