Why become a member? ×

Epiphone Thunderbird 5 allright or Sh&te

Stealth

Cant comment on the 5 string as I haven't played one, but own a recently acquired IV..... play-ability and sound is great, the quintessential rock bass. Of course it is a viable gigging bass, these instruments are completely underrated

Having looked at your stable of basses there is a real place in there for a T bird!

I had the Epiphone Thunderbird Pro-V Active and didn't like the sound as it didn't sound particularly Thunderbird-like (in comparison to the newer passive Classic IV) - just a generic twin soapbar active bass. If you like heavy basses and don't like neck dive, it might not be very comfortable for you. Epiphone have since moved the strap button from the top of the body to the back of the body where the neck meets the body.

The first one I had (an early model) had the 'pickup problem' in which Epiphone put 4-string pickups in them, which meant that the low B and to a lesser extent - the G were very weak-sounding. The replacement I received sounded better, but the active electronics were rather noisy and there just wasn't anything 'special' about its sound.

Another point to be wary of is that some guages of Low B won't fit in the bridge - you may need to use tapered strings for heavier guages.

I did two gigs with it though and it handled them well - it's a rock-solid instrument and looks lovely - especially the natural and burst finishes!

Edited by Green Alsatian

I have one of the natural oil finished ones that rolled of the production line after the inital run that had issues, so I have a rear mounted front strap button and the proper 5 string pickups fitted. The neck could be used as the flightdeck of an aircraft carrier, but I've got used to the spacing. The active eq isn't brilliant but the bass has a good basic sound with the eq flat. I use Thomastik JF345 flats on mine & they fit fine. Overall I like my one and won't be shifting it on any time soon.

Edited by Junkyard Rocket