Why become a member? ×

auditions make you nervous?

mcnach

I have recently contacted a local band that I like who needed a bass player, and today I met the band, and over the period of an hour we went through a couple of their songs and jammed a bit. That was our "audition".

Now, I gig regularly, with more than one band. I'm quite comfortable playing and meeting other people... but the truth is I haven't "auditioned" in 3 years, when I got my SBK gig. Most other things I have been involved in, either I was a founder or the founders knew me and asked me to join directly.

So I went to the audition and felt extremely nervous! I was annoyed at myself at being so nervous, when I knew I could play just fine.

Of course, I did not play that well. The two songs I was asked to have a look at, well, I only had time to do anything about them this morning, so about an hour is all I dedicated to them. I remembered them and played them, but not very confidently and with a bunch of mistakes. Then at the jams, I was not all that much better... on the plus side, on the funkier jams, I managed to resist slapping entirely. I'm proud of that :lol:

Auditions: meeting a bunch of strangers, playing the songs they've been playing together for ages, performing well under par.
I very much doubt I'll get the gig, and I think in the future I'm just going to assemble bands and be the one auditioning other members! :lol:
Still, it's exciting to be put somewhere outside your comfort zone for a bit.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1367717764' post='2068744']

Then at the jams, I was not all that much better... on the plus side, on the funkier jams, I managed to resist slapping entirely. I'm proud of that :lol:

[/quote]

And now they'll all be sitting there saying "pity, I was hoping he'd be able to slap in the funky numbers, he would have been ideal" :lol:

I very much doubt I'll get the gig, and I think in the future I'm just going to assemble bands and be the one auditioning other members! :lol:
[/quote]

You're kidding right? This week we're auditioning a couple of singers and I'm right keyed up about it, because I picked them out, I arranged it all, I've wasted everyone's time if they turn out to be no good and it'll be me who's got to tell one (or both) of 'em that they didn't get the gig. Doesn't sound like fun to me :(

I managed to resist slapping entirely. I'm proud of that :lol:

[/quote]

I'm sure there'e quite a few of us on here who are proud of you too for that. :D

My story is the same.

I have been playing for years professionally and semi professionally, and I reckon 99% of the bands I've played with I've joined after they've seen me play. I don't think I'm bad at auditions but I just never seem to get many of them.

That's why I think [i]networking[/i] is a critical skill for a musician.

On the other hand I was never nervous at job interviews and I can't remember being turned down for any job the I went for and really wanted. I always used to get those.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1367743256' post='2068844']
And now they'll all be sitting there saying "pity, I was hoping he'd be able to slap in the funky numbers, he would have been ideal" :lol:
[/quote]

:lol:

I hope not!

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1367744226' post='2068853']
You're kidding right? This week we're auditioning a couple of singers and I'm right keyed up about it, because I picked them out, I arranged it all, I've wasted everyone's time if they turn out to be no good and it'll be me who's got to tell one (or both) of 'em that they didn't get the gig. Doesn't sound like fun to me :(
[/quote]

That's true, telling people no is not fun. ESpecially when you do like them but there's just something missing.

For the RHCP band, after our initial drummer quit, we looked for drummers and tried a bunch, none of them "the one"... then, one day, we had two trying on the same day. The first one comes in... and everything about him seemed right. He had moved here from Canada without a kit, so he had not practiced in a couple of months but was working and planning to buy some gear... ok... he was a tiny bit rusty... but he was good, he had a flair, and he was a massive RHCP fan, he knew every song!

Then the next guy comes in. He was solid, really good drummer. He was a bit nervous, quite visibly (the Canadian was just so calm and relaxed)... a couple of timing issues that the guitarist pointed out... but really good drummer too.

Either would have been fine. What are the odds? two in one day!
I voted for the Canadian. Singer and Guitarist voted for the other one. So I had to tell the Canadian one "sorry, you did not get the gig" when inside I was yelling "but I wanted YOU YOU YOU!!!!" :lol:

The drummer we went for... turned out to be a fantastic drummer and a really outstanding guy. Love him.

The Canadian... well, he ended up playing drums with my originals band Sea Bass Kid, and we had a lot of fun. When he left... the other guy above joined us.

A bit incestuous, but when you find a good drummer you don't just let them go :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1367747314' post='2068906']
My story is the same.

I have been playing for years professionally and semi professionally, and I reckon 99% of the bands I've played with I've joined after they've seen me play. I don't think I'm bad at auditions but I just never seem to get many of them.

On the other hand I was never nervous at job interviews and I can't remember being turned down for any job the I went for and really wanted. I always used to get those.
[/quote]

INdeed!!! Networking is the best way. KNow people, get people to know you... saves hassle, and when you call someone to join you you have an idea of what he is like... unlike a guy who answers your gumtree advert. Some people are psychos but hide it very well at audition! ;)

I'm like you. I have never been turned down at any job I really wanted/needed, and my current job... I got it without an interview: my contract was ending in my lab, my then boss knew my current boss and he just showed up one day "I hear you might be looking for a new job soon and that you have experience about x, y and z, your boss said to me"... so I joined him for a short 4-month project and now I have a much longer contract. CV is important, but networking is just as important.

Same with music, so far I have never been turned down at an audition. I haven't been to many, but got them all. Ok, one of them... they took a while to get back to me, so I think I may not have been their first choice ;) but they never told me that.

The one yesterday... it was a style a bit out of my usual thing, so I am not sure they'd see me as a suitable fit, and I know there are many really good bassists around that may be seen as a better fit.

I'm not worried either way. I went to audition because I really like the band and I figured at least I get to meet them all and... "network". Knowing people is important. I would like to get them and my originals band to play the same shows at some point, as it's a different yet very compatible style, oddly enough. Now they know me, know my face... even if they did not like me as their bass player, it's already positive :)

99% of the bands I've played with I've joined after they've seen me play......................

[/quote]

Indeed... and when you are talking to people that you don't know, it is important
that the standards and goals match up....
so the people you know may be known by that person and that will give them an indication
that you'll be ok

This is how depping matches up....and it helps when people swim in the same circles.
This should take care of the playing side, then you need to sort of the character and chemistry and other
stuff.

Stuff like good gear and transport and reliability then kick in...

another thing about networking...

Take a look at things like Linkedin...
I could point out ( more than ) a few complete disasters ... and that is putting it kindly.. who have cost a company I know of, millions...
and to read their profile, you'd think they'd saved the world...

It would be funny, if it wasn't so (fraudulent ) serious.

Edited by JTUK

[/quote]

Bingo! :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1367754028' post='2069030']

That's Dr Evil to you. B)
[/quote]

Evil Dr. Nacho. How's that? :D

We've done auditions for drummers and singers - the latter was a temp thing while our main singer had to recover from some vocal problems she was having. The singer auditions were a clear winner situation - the other two are friends of mine but they were cool about it.

Drummers. It feels like we've been through more drummers than Spinal Tap (although without the fatal departures, I must admit). Although one was close ;)

Our current drummer is probably the best I've played with. I completely trust him musically, and some of his fills always give me a little smile when we are 'on song'. He also has some great ideas for little changes to the covers we do, stops etc. And a great laugh to boot.

I feel for the op, but you know - c'est la vie and all that. Maybe better things are coming your way if this one doesn't pan out. I hope so, anyway.

Cheers

Geoff

Well... I guess it wasn't all so bad, as I got offered the position by txt as I was going home from the second jam/audition thing...

The New Urban Frontier have a new bass player! :)

(and the guitarist is a really good bass player and a member of BC!)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1368224767' post='2074781']
Well... I guess it wasn't all so bad, as I got offered the position by txt as I was going home from the second jam/audition thing...

The New Urban Frontier have a new bass player! :)

(and the guitarist is a really good bass player and a member of BC!)
[/quote]

So... what you're saying is - We have a traitor in our midst? Let the witch-hunt commence :D :P

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1368244157' post='2074871']
So... what you're saying is - We have a traitor in our midst? Let the witch-hunt commence :D :P
[/quote]
Ah, that'd be me! I don't think I'm a witch, as I weigh more than a duck, but I do have a pointy hat somewhere (unless the clothes moths have eaten that one too). The departing bassist, LawrenceH is also on here, though more of an occasional visitor to BC at the moment. Hey McNach, you and he could compare notes on the rest of us!