Why become a member? ×

auditions make you nervous?

mcnach

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1368262276' post='2074972']
Ah, that'd be me! I don't think I'm a witch, as I weigh more than a duck, but I do have a pointy hat somewhere (unless the clothes moths have eaten that one too). The departing bassist, LawrenceH is also on here, though more of an occasional visitor to BC at the moment. Hey McNach, you and he could compare notes on the rest of us!
[/quote]

Hehe, I knew it was you :D McNach told me about the band when he auditioned first. :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1368224767' post='2074781']
Well... I guess it wasn't all so bad, as I got offered the position by txt as I was going home from the second jam/audition thing...

The New Urban Frontier have a new bass player! :)

(and the guitarist is a really good bass player and a member of BC!)
[/quote]

Congrats! I'll miss this band, glad the search is finally over though! Look foward to hearing where you guys take it next :) Now I really need to get my arse in gear and finish mixing the old recordings...

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1368244157' post='2074871']
So... what you're saying is - We have a traitor in our midst? Let the witch-hunt commence :D :P
[/quote]

Nah, he's too nice... definitely a bassist at heart :lol:

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1368262276' post='2074972']
Ah, that'd be me! I don't think I'm a witch, as I weigh more than a duck, but I do have a pointy hat somewhere (unless the clothes moths have eaten that one too). The departing bassist, LawrenceH is also on here, though more of an occasional visitor to BC at the moment. Hey McNach, you and he could compare notes on the rest of us!
[/quote]

Awesome!!!
That would come handy at times, for sure! :)

(phew, good job I had nothing bad to say about the previous bassist! :lol: LawrenceH, it's an honour to follow your footsteps :))

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1368267458' post='2075063']
Congrats! I'll miss this band, glad the search is finally over though! Look foward to hearing where you guys take it next :) Now I really need to get my arse in gear and finish mixing the old recordings...
[/quote]

If you have any recordings besides the EPs I already have, I'd be extremely interested, so that I get to learn as much of the repertoire as possible and quickly. It would be nice to get to play live soon.
You guys played once, last year, after Sea Bass Kid at Henry's Cellar. I had to go straight after the gig, can't remember why... but our trumpet player and others stayed. The trumpet player txted me as you were playing "you're missing an awesome band!!!!". He bought your EP and played it the next day at work (we work together). I have wanted to see the NUF live ever since. I even asked Beer of the Bass whether NUF would care to join SBK at our album launch party a couple of weekends ago... but he told me their bassist was leaving and he had a gig with Jen & The Gents... That's when I first heard the NUF needed a new bass player. The seed was planted. Then I saw the gumtree advert... and a few times I nearly wrote back but thought "nah, I'm sure they must have found someone already, and they are too good, they would surely not be interested in me" :)
Glad I fooled them, now I need to get my arse in gear and prevent them from finding out that I'm not good enough. I guess since nobody listens to the bass, that's easy :lol:
Nah, I know they listen. IN fact, the one thing that was a bit intimidating was knowing that the guitarist was a very good bass player, a lot better than myself, and that he'd be listening to me from a bass player's perspective too! The intimidation did not last long, 'though. Very nice people :) And I think the drummer and I are going to have fun... I really like his style!

Congrats on getting the gig, nice one.

With regard to the nerves thing, not only with auditions but also day job interviews, is to remember that you're checking them out as much as they are you, or at least you should be. I had more interviews for jobs last year than I can remember so I've lost the nerves there. I haven't been for an audition for a few years now though so don't know if I'd be able to follow my own advice without the 'pick me, pick me' jitters getting in the way.

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1368275632' post='2075194']
If you have any recordings besides the EPs I already have, I'd be extremely interested, so that I get to learn as much of the repertoire as possible and quickly. It would be nice to get to play live soon.
[/quote]

Aye, last thing we did before we left was de-camp to a holiday cottage for a week with a load of recording gear. There's a whole album's worth of new recordings sitting on mine and Frank's computers! I'm sure he'll pass on the tracks in various states of mix pretty soon, and as I say I'll be doing my best to get them finished over the next few weeks; there's some new material but also some of the old songs were re-recorded and may have changed quite a bit - I half-learned them from the same EPs you've been given, but have probably changed a lot of what the previous bassists played (there've been a few ;) ). What you do with 'my' versions, of course, will be up to you - I'll look forward to hearing at a gig whenever I'm next back in Edinburgh!
The drummer's great fun to play with, as are the rest, and yes they listen to the bass a lot in this band... previous to this one I'd have said my default style was old-school funk but in the process of locking together better I found it best to really strip that back and rebuild. The irony is that I'm now in more of a 'funk' band again and am having to re-learn to play that way, :D

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1368289798' post='2075370']
Aye, last thing we did before we left was de-camp to a holiday cottage for a week with a load of recording gear. There's a whole album's worth of new recordings sitting on mine and Frank's computers! I'm sure he'll pass on the tracks in various states of mix pretty soon, and as I say I'll be doing my best to get them finished over the next few weeks; there's some new material but also some of the old songs were re-recorded and may have changed quite a bit - I half-learned them from the same EPs you've been given, but have probably changed a lot of what the previous bassists played (there've been a few ;) ). What you do with 'my' versions, of course, will be up to you - I'll look forward to hearing at a gig whenever I'm next back in Edinburgh!
The drummer's great fun to play with, as are the rest, and yes they listen to the bass a lot in this band... previous to this one I'd have said my default style was old-school funk but in the process of locking together better I found it best to really strip that back and rebuild. The irony is that I'm now in more of a 'funk' band again and am having to re-learn to play that way, :D
[/quote]

your "there's been a few ;)" comment could sound a little sinister... At least I know you are alive, so that's somewhat reassuring :lol:

It's a tricky thing, playing what other played before. On the one hand you want to play "the song", on the other... we all have different personalities and approaches and might want to do some things a little bit differently... I guess we will figure things out as we go along.

As for the recordings... that sounds really exciting! Can't wait to hear that!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1368296519' post='2075458']
It's a tricky thing, playing what other played before.
[/quote]

Yup, definitely agree with this - the nice thing about this band is that people are quite open to experimenting even with old stuff (the band has quite an anarchic approach in a more literal, political sense of the word). I found myself keeping the bits I thought worked best, but changing where I felt the drums/bass weren't locking or the bass wasn't contributing much to the overall picture, and it just naturally evolved over time - no doubt Mr Beer et al will tell you about my annoying-never-the-same-line-twice style! I especially enjoyed experimenting with new parts at gigs, heheh. Anyway I always felt 'my' bass lines were a work in progress so I'm sure you'll have your own take - as long as it fits with what the rest of the band are doing, I say go with it.

As to the other bassists, well the band let me live, the others, it's not for me to say... :ph34r:

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1368299837' post='2075514']
As to the other bassists, well the band let me live, the others, it's not for me to say... :ph34r:
[/quote]

I'll make sure I set up near an exit, just in case... thanks for the heads up :ph34r:
I guess that those trips to the countryside... I should not always assume they are with the purpose of recording... :yarr: