Why become a member? ×

Slap techniques advice

AndyBass

So I'm trying to get various quad slap techniques down using YouTube, particularly Mr Dubouchet's clips. The two I'm looking at are:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=3sbHVfKFLlY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D3sbHVfKFLlY

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=3sbHVfKFLlY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D3sbHVfKFLlY

So I get the idea, but I just don't seem to be able to get them going with any speed. Practice goes without saying, but does anyone who can do these techniques have any pointers - which strings should be hit with which fingers, string height, voodoo charms, whatever.

Also trying to get the speed of my normal slap playing faster. Again, practice goes without saying but when I play fast I tend to hit the fingerboard more with my fingertips. Any tips?

Again, I know practice is the main thing here, but Im after any suggestions that might help break through a plateau. Cheers!

The advice I recieved from a veteran slap player last weekend was "Ride the D string like a m*********er. Once you've got the rhythm right, move onto the A, then you can speed up"

So, I've followed his advice and I'm slowly getting there. Start slow, making sure you get a good clean snap against the fingerboard and get a nice steady rhythm going - speed isn't important at this point, just a good clean snap and a steady pace. Once you've got a clean technique, you can up the tempo.

As far as I can see it's all down to practice and perseverance. It's not a simple technique and it's physically very demanding, so you've just got to start slow and work your way up, making sure you've got the snap working before you move onto a slap or drag triplets.

Cheers. Id say that's pretty sound advice and obviously practice is 90% of it. And that's got me to a point where I'm totally happy with drag triplets and that kinda stuff. I definitely think with the fast slap I want there's something to be said for going back to playing really slow, trying to correct bad habits and get the snap without getting fingertips near the fingerboard.

But I really like the quad stuff in those clips, particularly the "rapid fire" one Willie Dixon, Milt Hinton et al would drop in occasionally. And I guess its the same kinda rapid fire slap I want to nail for just fast psychobilly style playing. Not cos I like that stuff, but because I don't like not being able to do it! And that's where I'm thinking there must be an element of technique I need more insight into before I can then practice it faster...

I found that my slap technique really got going after I understood 2 things:
1) you gotta be loose: even if slapping is an ungentle art, stiffening up makes you slow, sloppy and tired.
2) everyone's hand is a wee bit different. Milt did it with the side of his fingers, the rockabilly guys more with the palm of their hands, Willie Dixon mainly used his fingertips. I have long hands and I use the area between my thumb and my wrist a lot.
As per number 1, I can only do the Dixon quadruple slap when I am really relaxed and don't give a hoot, which ain't probably gonna happen on a gig...
Sorry I hope this was of at least a little relevance to the thread. Got no magic advice, you seem to be very informed on all the technique already. All the best.

Cheers Rabbie. I think you're right, I play a lot better when I'm loose, but when I'm trying to get these techniques I tense up no end to try and get the speed or because on the second quad slap technique, its the only way I can get enough force to get the 3rd click out of my Innovations. And also a bit out of frustration as I've drilled them so many times with no improvement. Ah well, I'll keep plugging away! Anyone near Yorkshire who can do any of them and wouldn't mind letting me see and asking a few questions one day, give me a shout!