Why become a member? ×

New bass pickups - Anybody got info on these?

MiltyG565

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1368646969' post='2079810']
My head :(

So what you are saying is, there might be some extra winds, but that means more treble, which isn't what the big singles are known for, so there must be something else, but we don't know what?

Why didn't you say so? :D
[/quote]

No , more winds usually means less treble extension , unless you do something to counteract that . Carey Nordstrand is a bit of wizard when it comes to bass pickup design , and I am not that electrically literate , so I can't really tell you what he has done , but it seems to work , and other pickup manufacturers want a slice of the pie he has created , so to speak .

The main reason is making other types of pickups available to basses equipped with soapbars.

You are no longer restricted by the shape of the routing... you can choose the shape that fits the routing, with another type of pickup. If the pickup is smaller than a soapbar, there'll be empty space. So what?

in addition, if the manufacturer has a reputation for knowing a thing or two about pickup design, they're likely to come up with some interesting flavours. But that's an extra.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1368526152' post='2077936']
what's the difference in a single coil and soapbar though?
[/quote]

They are the same thing, electronically - but the housings are different shapes. Imagine what a Les Paul would look like with two Strat-style SC pickups? :o It's just what people are used to seeing.

Its a bit like putting the same engine into two different cars, maybe. Does the same thing, but looks different.

Personally, I prefer the look of soapbars - but in guitars that have always had SCs in single casings, they look wrong IMO. A Jazz bass with soapbars? Yuk. :yarr:

Edited by Conan