Why become a member? ×

Anyone played Lusty Glaze beach in Newquay?

KevB

Bit of a long shot I know. My band leader has accepted a gig there but has typicallynot bothered getting any details of the set up, in fact I've only just got an actual venue name from him after asking for 2 weeks. So I looked at LGb web site and it gives the impression that the site is only accesible via 130-odd steps down from the cliff top. I really don't fancy the idea of lugging gear up and down that for one night's gig. It seems to be a respected venue with bands like Reef playing there but they don't haul their own gear about. Anyone played there who has more accurate info about the set up?

I had a look out of curiosity and I think you may be right. Not something I'd look forward to.

[color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]The cove is home to the National Lifeguard Training Centre and lifeguards patrol the beach during peak seasons. A small car park is situated by the beach but parking in Newquay town centre is preferable in the summer months. Access to the beach is via (difficult in places) cliff steps or via neighbouring Tolcarne Beach at low tide. There is no disabled access.[/size][/font][/color]

It may be best to give them a ring, they have to get all the bar drinks there and won't us the steps ( I'd hope) - hopefully they have jeep or something that can help you out at low tide or something. Looks a fantastic venue though

Edited by bob_pickard

[quote name='bob_pickard' timestamp='1368855710' post='2082256']
It may be best to give them a ring, they have to get all the bar drinks there and won't us the steps ( I'd hope) - hopefully they have jeep or something that can help you out at low tide or something. Looks a fantastic venue though
[/quote]

i was just thinking similar to this - maybe there is a jib/winch somewhere for hauling heavy stuff up and down ?

Cheers guys, I'll get on to the band leader. He's pretty hopeless at organisation yet seems to take offence if I get too involved, very much 'his' band. In his shoes I'd have had it in writing by now from the guy at their end as to exactly what was provided and how we set up, considering it will be a 5-6 hour drive just to get there.

Edited by KevB

I've been there but not played there. It's true access tot he beach is via the steps (and I wouldn't want to lug kit up and down them either) but they have a restaurant and various other stuff on the beach, I would be very surprised if there isn't some way to get heavy equipment up and down.

• 3 weeks later...

I posted on the 'gig last night' thread but just a quick update here too. There is NO WAY of getting any gear down to the beach other than the 130-odd steps (concrete, not very wide and quite steep). Apparently all the building materials to build the restaurant/bar came that way and any bigger acts (Reef, Feeder etc) have had their gear down the same way with a lot of roadies involved. To load in I did 4 or 5 trips up and down them and another 3 or 4 at the end of the night (and that included some help from guests at the wedding). On the last trip back up after the gig my calves were cramping up and going into spasm. The owners/managers are very strict with the 11pm curfew on music. We finished pretty much dead on 11pm and the wedding guests were baying for an encore or two but no dice, we were told that was it. So we said we'd just put some background music on the ipod quietly while we packed some gear up. No chance, not even prerecorded music allowed after 11pm. Some of the wedding guests then started a voluntary acapella singalong in protest. It was obvious that they were using shutting the music down as a crowd control measure to encourage guests to start leaving and that's exactly what happened. It gave the impression they'd had their wedge of money from the wedding and we could all sod off home basically.