Why become a member? ×

Which autowah?

Solomon

Alrighty, people.

I am about to continue my quest to find the finest autowah / envelope filter on the market and I'm look for a few opinions. And, yeah, I expect this topic has probably been covered before :)

My first experience about 20 years ago was with a box that an old mate built. It cost me 30 quid if memory serves! A simple Maplins' metal box with two knobs and one button. It sounded great. I then owned the Digitech Synthwah which is nice enough but a little too surgical.

Clearly, I'm after the Bootsy kind of sound but not necessarily quite so extreme. I want something warm and full, retro as you like,quite versatile, with plenty of bottom end and so funky I need to wear a gas mask! I've also already got a really nice valve preamp pedal to dirty up the signal a little. It'd be great if presets could be programmed in so you can change the effect without having to stop playing, but that could be a bit of a dream unless I buy a few pedals!

I've been looking at the HAZ Mutron III+ (probably purely because it carries the Mutron name), the QTron (because it's like the Mutron but cheaper), Source Audio bass envelope filter (which offers far more than I need but offers programmable presets), the Snow White (which sounds great), and others.

Just wondering what other people use or would recommend? I''m selling my fairly new SWR Redhead so hopefully I'll be freeing up some money soon - I'd probably be happy to throw a couple of hundred quid at the pedal if I can get what I want for that kind of money.

BTW, feel free to check out my Redhead on eBay [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SWR-Redhead-Electric-Bass-Guitar-Pro-Combo-Tube-Valve-Amplifier-2x10-400-650W-/171036556789?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item27d292bdf5"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item27d292bdf5[/url]

Cheers!! :)

One of the 3leaf filters might be up your street.

The Proton is Spencer's take on the Mutron.

The Wonderlove is based on the Lovetone Meatball. Previous versions are the Groove Regulator or and GR2. General consensus seems to be that although the Wonderlove is much more tweakable, and has the same sounds in it as its predecessor, the GR2 requires a little less digging to get the sounds you hear in your head.

I have had a proton in the past (the first version) and currently have a Groove Regulator. If starting to look again I'd be checking out the current version of the proton (usefull upgrafes on the original version) or the GR2. The wonderlove has more features than I'd need.

I've tried a few of the end filters and although the big box qtron sounded amazing it was HUGE and needed 24v. The mini qtron is nice but still big and there's a big volume jump when it's engaged, same with the micro qtron. These can be modded to fix the volume jump issue though.

Maybe the best advice is try all the ones you like the sound of and don't take other people's word for it - filters are a very individual thing.

Edited by Bigwan

Oh yeah, @Bigwan, I'm loving that Proton! Thanks for the tip. It might just be this kid who has sold me on it though...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_5IMP_8kO0[/media]

wow - the lads got some chops!

Edited by Solomon

That's Spencer, Mr 3leaf. Can play like that AND builds awesome pedals!!! Not jealous, honestly...

My only issue with the proton was the fast decay time on the v1 model. The next model had an internal switch to move between a fast and slow decay time and the current model has a dedicated decay control. Only thing I'd add is a blend control, but then you're into a GR2...

Edited by Bigwan

You know, I kinda picked that up when I was looking around for videos but I assumed I must've made the wrong assumptions - no one that young could be that awesome, could they? Perhaps he's actually 40? I think I'll see if I can pick up the old one for cheap and see how I get along with it - it's sounds great in this video. If I get on well with it I'll upgrade because a blend and delay control would be great too.

Lovely idea... but as far as I can tell, I can pick up a 1st edition 3leaf for around £50 and it'll be hard to get a Mutron III for less than £400, and probably get hit by customs fees when it arrives too. I can't afford to throw that much money at it at the moment.

What about this HAZ Mutron III+? Is it any good? A poor imitation or a worthy successor?

Since you mentioned presets being a plus, you should also look at the Sonuus Wahoo. It's very flexible, and some of the bass envelope presets sound very similar to the Proton I once had. I've never needed to look at another filter since! Also, new features are added with firmware releases, for instance this image from their Facebook page shows a change they are making to allow the envelope to better track fast staccato notes:

[quote name='Solomon' timestamp='1368897269' post='2082817']
Lovely idea... but as far as I can tell, I can pick up a 1st edition 3leaf for around £50 and it'll be hard to get a Mutron III for less than £400, and probably get hit by customs fees when it arrives too. I can't afford to throw that much money at it at the moment.

[/quote]

I bought mine in the UK for under £300 :)

Wow that Sonuus is quite a beast - well certainly in terms of functionality - and seems to sound really nice. I don't know if I got one of those then I would get my value for money - I'm not a massive effects freak but I've got a funk project on the horizon that, if I had one of these, could be quite influential in the band... certainly a very interesting option.

Regarding the old 3leaf, I found one on ebay but the guy selling has withdrawn it :( I had a snipe ready to go as well - it didn't seem to be getting much interest so I think he just chickened out. Gutted!

If you're not wanting to spend a lot, then the EHX Q-tron (& it's variations) are worth a look.
If you're happy to spend, then I'll add the Moog MF-101 to your list. It really comes into it's own if you add an expression pedal or 2.

The 3leaf Wonderlove will be right up your street, a second hand GR2 would be cheaper but the wonderlove has the same sounds plus a bunch of extra features, tis 3leafs flagship filter. Never had a go on a Protob, imagine its pretty cool!

I'm the happy owner of a 3Leaf GR1 and am not considering changing any time soon. I've had all the usual suspects Digitech Synth Wah, Boss AW-3, 3Laef Proton, 3Leaf Wonderlove, Boss SYB, MXR Envelope Filter, some multifx units and other pedal i can't remember. From all the best i found was the GR1, it's very easy to set, all sounds are very musical and warm. I found the Wonderlove to be more complicated to get the sound i was looking for and the Proton is just too high pitch sounding for my taste. If i found a used GR2 i would buy it in the second just to try it against mine and then i believ i would keep both so i can have a backup.
Love my GR to bits, the best pedal on my board ;)