Why become a member? ×

G & L SB 2 Fretless Question

bassatnight

Folks,

There was a rather lovely G&L SB-2 Fretless for sale on Bass Direct for some £950, American made and Ebony board - all great. I did a quick google and found the same basses for sale at just 800 dollars new. Am I missing something?

Are there rare ones that go for a little more or is this bass over priced?

Ta,
Steve.

Firstly, G&L's are significantly cheaper in the US, for whatever reasons, tax, importing etc, etc. It looks like a new USA SB2 costs $1160 on Musician's Friend in the States. I can't find any new USA SB2's new for $800.
Anyway, for a new USA SB2 here, just under a grand seems about right. It's just that most everything cheaper over there.

Most American made basses are much cheaper in the U.S.A . There are all kinds of reasons for that - I could ge into them if you want - but in the final analysis , £950 for a USA G&L fretless SB2 sounds like a pretty decent UK price to me . $800 sounds like an unusually low price for a brand new SB2 , and bear in mind that most USA prices are quoted without sales tax . USA G&L basses are superb quality instruments , and for that kind of money they are easily equal to anything else on the market at a similar price - point .