Why become a member? ×

Hipshot Supertone/General Bridge Enquiry

TomWIC

Hi all

Due to the positive feedback about Hipshot Supertone bridges, I'm currently looking to get two of them for my Thunderbirds.

However, the one problem I've got in the meantime is that I'm planning to use at least them of the T'birds for Drop B tuning. I'd like to be using a .125 gauge string for the low B at the minimum, but the issue is that I can't fit a stringer thicker than a .110 through the bloody bridge.

My first question is; before I go and buy new bridges, anyone know what the thickest gauge string I could get through the bridge on the Supertone is without modification?

Secondly, in the meantime, what would be the best way to modify the stock bridge to allow me to use a higher gauge string right away?

Cheers

EDIT: Also just realised that this potentially belongs in the Accessories forum. Feel free to move it if that's the case.

Edited by TomWIC

Just had a look at mine and it has a slot, rather than a hole, for fast string changes etc. Not exactly a quantitative assessment, but it looks to me like you could fit a car tow rope through it. I had to fit an extra ball end from an old string onto the G string to stop it sliding through.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1369507820' post='2089995']
Just had a look at mine and it has a slot, rather than a hole, for fast string changes etc. Not exactly a quantitative assessment, but it looks to me like you could fit a car tow rope through it. I had to fit an extra ball end from an old string onto the G string to stop it sliding through.
[/quote]

Good to know, thanks!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1369525373' post='2090228']
Also, you can get taperwound strings and it makes fitting to the bridge easy.
[/quote]

Tried this today. Popped to my local PMT and was given a .135 Rotosound taperwound and it went through the bridge without any hassle. Getting it to sit on the nut however, was another story. I'm gonna get new nuts for both of them first, and then think about new bridges or changing to taperwound strings.

Cheers :)

Edited by TomWIC