Why become a member? ×

Loosening a jammed endpin

Clarky

My Kolstein bass' endpin has stopped being adjustable and is jammed. It simply will not move. Doesn't help that its not at the right height for my playing either :rolleyes:

I've tried loosening the bracket around it. Nada. I assume if I oiled it it would (possibly) do the trick. However I am nervous of dripping oil in my bass in case it goes all the way through to the other side of the endpin assembly, plops on to the inner woodworking and does some damage. Maybe I am being overly cautious and there are some oils that are fine? Any suggestions esteemed DB playing BassChat chums?

Try using hair dryer and heat the end pin up ( assuming its metal rather than carbon fibre or wooden ). Careful not to heat the varnish or it will crackle like a blow torch on paint ! Sometimes the expansion of the metal + a bit of heat eases the jam either when the pin is hot or when its cooled down again.

Failing that it would be a case of de-stringing and taking the whole end pin assembly out and then figuring out why it has jammed. I would avoid oil ..just don't think it would do anything as end pins generally don't need greasing up to work ...something else is the problem - do you think that the pin could have got bent slightly ? (you could try to see if it looks to be at a slight angle and carefully try to bend it back.)

Good luck with it !

Peter

easy fix. mark out bridge feet position by putting strips of masking/ gaffa tape round them onto bass top. Destring, you wont have to completelly remove them , just enough to ge the bridge out and tail wire over the endoin. the endpin assembly will drop out, its not glued in.
Straighten endpin and put back as above . dead easy, or you could bring it to me and Ill charge about £100 , just like a real luthier would. :)

[quote name='keeponehandloose' timestamp='1369580214' post='2090552']
easy fix. mark out bridge feet position by putting strips of masking/ gaffa tape round them onto bass top. Destring, you wont have to completelly remove them , just enough to ge the bridge out and tail wire over the endoin. the endpin assembly will drop out, its not glued in.
Straighten endpin and put back as above . dead easy, or you could bring it to me and Ill charge about £100 , just like a real luthier would. :)
[/quote]

Just did this (made easy as the Kolstein has a spring-loaded soundpost - being a travel bass - so it doesn't drop out). Worked a treat! Many thanks :)