Why become a member? ×

Threesome in the back garden!! My Fenders

Old Horse Murphy

Well I thought I'd make the most of the sunshine and take some pics of my 3 basses in decent light for a change.

From left to right: 2006 US 75 Reissue Jazz, 2010 Custom Shop Pino Palladino Signature P Bass, 1989(ish) US P Bass.

The 89 is my usual go-to gigging bass and is just like an old pair of slippers. It now sports a 2008 neck and a Badass bridge as the original neck ended up the shape of a banana!

The Pino is probably the best bass I've ever played and certainly the best bass I've owned. When we play venues I'm familiar and comfortable with, it will probably be the bass I gig with.

The 75 Jazz is a recent acquisition that I very nearly parted with a few weeks back. Just prior to selling, I noticed the block inlay was lifting very slightly in the first fret position so decided I didn't want to sell a bass that had a potential issue with it.

This appears to be common with Fender block inlays, particularly those with the trussrod being adjustable from the nut end and have compared it to several Fenders (both reissues and original 70's basses) and 8 out of 10 had a similar problem in varying degrees.

I had it checked out by Gavin at Andertons and he thinks it's pretty secure. Molan is arranging for me to meet his Luthier too for a second opinion and also to see if it could be remedied, but it's not affecting playability at all and I have the action as low as I like it :)

I've tried many types of bass available in the UK; Musicman, Lakland, Shuker, Rickenbacker, Gibson, Epiphone, Sandberg, Aria, Danelectro, Dingwall etc and always come back to Fenders time after time.

I had a life-changing experience a few months back (an epiphany moment as opposed to an epifani moment which I have had too many of in the past!) and now realise that I got caught up too much in buying and selling gear as opposed to actually enjoying what I have.

I still would like to add a decent fretless and possibly a Ric 4003 to my stable at some stage :)

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the pics as much as I enjoy the basses.

PS Please excuse the Black Lab in one of the pics. It's impossible in the Murphy household to have a picture that she hasn't managed to sneak in to :)

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1369671082' post='2091409']
very nice Nick! I am cutting down my collection too. A P, a J and (for my current band as I am not 100% comfortable with it) a fretless
[/quote]

Thanks mate. I'm sure your Fretless playing is rock solid :)

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1369937473' post='2094757']
Pino envy!! I really need to find one that is an absolute dog to play, so it puts me off before I go and buy one and put myself in debt.
[/quote]

I'm afraid the only dog in the picture is my black lab lying in the background :) I'm sorry to say it's probably to nicest bass I've played to date

Edited by Old Horse Murphy