Why become a member? ×

A little Schaller question

I was thinking of upgrading a bass with a Schaller bridge, but this particular bass strings through the body. So this question is to anyone that has one on one of their basses. Will it be possible to string through the body whilst having a Schaller bridge or will I have to top load the strings?

Cheers,

Kiev.

Edited by ChickenKiev

The thing with through-body stringing is that the holes for this option on the replacement bridge have to line up exactly with the existing holes in the body otherwise it's useless. What bass is it that you want to modify and what's wrong with the existing bridge?

I've owned basses that have had the facility to be strung through both positions (bridge rear/thru-body) and I have to say that there was no discernible difference to my ear; whether in isolation or with a full band cranked. In fact I had grief with one bass when thru-body stringing and the windings came to the saddle point and if using flats the string would 'fracture' (for want of a better word), due to the break angle coming over the saddles from the rear (fnarr). However, it works for some so go with what you feel is best... your ears may be in better shape than mine. ;)

Edited by warwickhunt

It's a Fender Mark Hoppus signature, which is essentially a Jazz Bass with a Precision bridge and through-body stringing, as well of course the split-P pickup.

Nothing's wrong with the current bridge I've just heard a few examples of people who have changed the bridge on their bass with some positive results.

If it is a BBOT bridge being swapped for a higher mass bridge (Badass etc) then you may hear some differences due to the added mass but it isn't always the case that it will be a significant improvement. Saying that if you can buy a 'used' bridge to try then you are not going to lose any money if you decide it adds nothing and then sell it on. .