Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitoring for Rehearsal and Gigs?

paulmcnamara

Our band suffers from not getting a decent sound in the rehearsal room and a recent experience of recording ourselves has led us to consider setting up in a similar way for all rehearsals and gigs, using headphones initially in rehearsal and then perhaps using wired earphones for gigs (so we don't look totally disconnected from our audience). Looking at headphone amplifiers we realise that generally you get one mix, if being fed from a basic mixer, though with aux in's it is possible to personalise a mix a little.
Plusses include the protection of hearing, getting a really good quality foldback, hearing everything that's going on, and getting a good recording too. Not sure about the disadvantages except the extra hassle of setting up. However it could mean rehearsing without needing to use PA which is a plus in terms of time spent setting up and adjusting.
Our plan would, in time, be to move to an 'in ear monitor' wireless system, but at present that seems a bit of a jump and an expensive one.
Would really appreciate your comments, ideas, or similar experiences.

Cheers, Paul.

Edited by paulmcnamara

I bet you all need to turn down a little. Once you've done that then aspects of your sound that aret compatible together will start to become obvious.

In my band, following advice from someone on here, we all turned down and noticed that the guitarist had a really bass heavy tone which didn't help at all. I introduced a bit of clank to my tone and now we sound great.

Truckstop

[quote name='paulmcnamara' timestamp='1369817648' post='2092956']
Our band suffers from getting a decent sound in the rehearsal room and a recent experience of recording ourselves has led us to consider setting up in a similar way for all rehearsals and gigs, using headphones initially in rehearsal and then perhaps using wired earphones for gigs (so we don't look totally disconnected from our audience). Looking at headphone amplifiers we realise that generally you get one mix, if being fed from a basic mixer, though with aux in's it is possible to personalise a mix a little.
Plusses include the protection of hearing, getting a really good quality foldback, hearing everything that's going on, and getting a good recording too. Not sure about the disadvantages except the extra hassle of setting up. However it could mean rehearsing without needing to use PA which is a plus in terms of time spent setting up and adjusting.
Our plan would, in time, be to move to an 'in ear monitor' wireless system, but at present that seems a bit of a jump and an expensive one.
Would really appreciate your comments, ideas, or similar experiences.

Cheers, Paul.
[/quote]

This thread that a few of us have been contributing to is probably worth a read - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/205633-in-ear-monitors-help-needed/"]http://basschat.co.u...rs-help-needed/[/url]

Have to echo the points above though - I would guess you need to turn down at rehearsals.

Edited by EBS_freak

Hi Paul

I've had some good results with using a JamHub for rehearsals and in fact put a band together for a show playing a selection of Queen tracks (a la We Will Rock You) where the 'band' mix was provided to the front of house from the rear outputs of the JamHub.

You can have multiple monitor mixes (6 minimum assuming one instrument or mic per channel and a max of 11 with 4 additional sole mixes connected) and there are reports of people using this setup as a wired in ear monitor solution whilst splitting the instrument and mic feeds to a standard FOH mixer.

[url="http://www.jamhub.com/"]http://www.jamhub.com/[/url]

Cheers

Pete

First advice when struggling with sound is always turn down - just as others have said.

IEMs are great if you can get on with them. they contribute to much lower stage volume - that's good for you and good for the FOH sound. It's also one less set of speakers to feed back.

The biggest issues are isolation, and less feeling of volume. Some people play better when they can feel the air moving around the,. The isolation is twofold. You cannot lean over to the guitarist for a quick word the same. The other side is audience noise is reduced - That can be good thing, but if banter is a part of the show it isn't as easy. The easiest way round that is to have an ambient mike - I used to use a PZM - and route that just into the monitors.

I use a jamhub for rehearsals and have used it for monitor mixes live using modified stereo cables and the inserts on each channel on the desk. Great bit of kit and if you already have the isolation headphones, drum mics into a small mixer for drums or electronic drums, low wattage guitar amps that the 'sweet spot' isn't at 120db with a good quality mic in front or palmer speaker sim for each guitarist or a modeling amp as well as in ears. It's not a cheap way of doing things and you probably won't need all of it but it'd really help

Hi Guys, thanks for the info on Jam Hub, looks really interesting.
Whilst I am sure you are all right about turning down, but we are a rock band as opposed to a folk band and the monitoring method, for me at least, has many other implications which might seem onerus initially but I believe pay dividends. Anyway hopefully rehearsing this weekend (if the heasdphone amp arrives from Thomann in time) with the new monitoring setup and can report back next week.

Cheers, Paul.