Why become a member? ×

Are people THAT skint at the moment!?

Pembo

Was watching, but missed bidding on this... [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-BB414-Bass-Guitar-/111081817180?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item19dcfe045c"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-BB414-Bass-Guitar-/111081817180?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item19dcfe045c[/url]

Having just driven past row after row of very ordinary terraced houses that you'd be lucky to buy for less than £500,000 i can confirm that there is still plenty of money washing around in this country.

I've picked up many decent guitars and basses on ebay simply because someone couldn't be bothered to put it in a cardboard box and phone a courier to collect it and long may it continue.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1370128793' post='2096876']
That is true, but it is generally in the wrong hands.
[/quote]
Indeed. I must stress that i was only driving past these houses. I don't own one of them. This country is cash rich. You've only got to look around and see that houses in the higher bracket are not the ones being repossessed because they are owned by the ones doing the repossessing.

Come the revolution. One day.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1370126949' post='2096856']
No, not everyone is skint but it was collection only so inevitably it was always going to be a bargain. The real bargains on ebay are collection only.
[/quote]

Yup, seconded.

Not only "collection only" the ebay listing finished at a time when a significant majority of people interested in guitars and band music are out, so a very bad time to finish your listing.

Ona different but related note, strangely I seem to be having far, far more luck selling bass stuff on Gumtree recently than anywhere else (including here).

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1370127095' post='2096860']
About five years ago you could buy these basses new for £200 , so the seller might not be losing that much in the scheme of things .
[/quote]

I suppose so. Especially if the seller had little insight/dedication to playing bass and originally bought it as a 'hobby to try'.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1370159839' post='2096971']
Ona different but related note, strangely I seem to be having far, far more luck selling bass stuff on Gumtree recently than anywhere else (including here).
[/quote]

Yeah, I've noticed an increase in listings on Gumtree over the past 6 months.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1370159839' post='2096971']
Not only "collection only" the ebay listing finished at a time when a significant majority of people interested in guitars and band music are out, so a very bad time to finish your listing.
[/quote]
I picked up a gem recently on ebay where it was collection only and the auction ended at 9.00 a.m. ........... Result!!!

Yep... the seller made a couple of mistakes in the way he listed it.

Here's another that has a few mistakes:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caustic-Guitar-/181148885170?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item2a2d50a0b2"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caustic-Guitar-/181148885170?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item2a2d50a0b2[/url]

"Caustic Guitar"
Listed in Amplifiers
Collection only.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1370152617' post='2096938']
Yes they are, or my Alembic at £1k would have gone in seconds :lol:
[/quote] you know I have been sat there, and every time I go by the sale forum wonder why your bass hasn't sold yet. It looks good!
[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1370169335' post='2097111']
Recently Ive pretty much gone for trades on here to accommodate the fact that basses in the >£1000 bracket seem to be slow movers.
[/quote] Trades seem to be the way forward - my last deal on here was a trade of an acoustic I wasn't playing - the fella didn't have money but he did have a couple of old basses and a Pod thing - well sold the pod and one of the basses- stripped down the other bass, stuck a new body on it and built the jazz bass in my profile - which was gigged for the first time on sunday. Better deall for us all that money changing hands.
[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1370174558' post='2097185']
I picked up a gem recently on ebay where it was collection only and the auction ended at 9.00 a.m. ........... Result!!!
[/quote] I had a bike - he had it in parts... but had the parts of two bikes, photo just showed a frame, collection only ending at 4:45 on a friday... and he had spelt every single keyword incorectly. :D